Japanese Lifestyle during WW2 : A Museum Found! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Full translation of the handbill.

"To the Japanese People

Don't you want to save lives of you, your parents, brothers, sisters and friends? If you want to

do so, please read this handbill well.

Within a few days, US Air Force will carry out bombings against the military facilities

located in all or somel of the cities listed behind this handbill.

There are military facilities and factories producing munitions in these cities.

Though US Air Force will destroy all weapons that your military authorities are going to

use to prolong this losing war, we cannot tell exactly where our bombs will fall as they

have no eyes. As you know, America of humanism does not want to hurt innocent people.

So, please evacuate from the cities listed behind.

American enemy is not you. It is your military authorities who are drawing you into

their war. The peace America thinks is just to liberate you from the oppression of your

military authorities because much better new Japan can be built up after that.

Why don't you have your new leader who can stop the war to recover peace?

Other cities not listed behind might also be bombed but all or some of the cities

listed will be bombed at least. As this is our warning, please evacuate from the cities

listed behind."

Thanks Crimea_River, vB and Mike for your kind comments again!
Tour continues.

Soldiers.

04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG

Kamikaze pilots.

The 3rd photo : "Recruiting home dogs for a military dog".

14.JPG
15.JPG
18.JPG

This is great information to educate people. I can remember many times hearing that the Japanese did not acknowledge atrocities in China, and it is good to know that it is. This has been a great way to raise awareness and see it for ourselves. Even though the war has been over for almost 70 years, there are still things we don't know about each other. That is why I am thankful for forums like these were we can learn from each other and better understand ourselves and our former enemies.

Amen Eric!

And echo Dave's comment. Seems to be a GREAT and very 'honest'/ unbiased museum - showing all aspects of the nations war experience in the same light. Hope to see it personally some day.

Thanks again Shinpachi for this thread!

Hello Shinpachi...
Thanks for this thread, this is a very interesting visit into the museum. I have been to Osaka, however I did not find this place. Very powerful exhibits...thanks again

Shinpachi, Excellent as always. I note that the book in #49 is in English. At some point, in their schooling, would Japanese students read/ be exposed to a book like this one? I too have heard that war crimes are not a open topic in Japan

On top of the other comments, Shinpachi, you are a great photographer.

I'm named for an uncle who died at Buna but the time for hate is long past.

My mother has a steamer trunk filled with WWII memorabilia. A few years ago she and I spent an evening going through it. There's even a letter in there from Patton (memo-graph) saying rah rah to the troops. It was like a trip to a museum. I ate a Tums (antiacid pill) that was older than I was.

Thanks for sharing. If you have more I look forward to seeing it.

The books in Post#49 are supplementary books used in English class at Malaysian schools.
Japanese school text books also contain these older Japanese war crimes samely as the 2nd photo of #50 shows. The two books placed under the Chinese text books are Japanese ones though you only see heads of them in my photo.

This museum was once blamed by Japanese nationalists as too honest a decade ago when it opened and is still a controversial place between the anti-war activists and the right wings.

Photos:
Bataan Death March
Thai-Burma Railway Incident (Known as Death Railway Incident)
Allied POWs in Changi in Singapore

and two more in Borneo and Korea. Last one is explained like -
A patriotic Korean farmer was cut his right arm when he held a Korean flag before the Japanese army. Then, he held it by his left hand. He was again cut his left arm by a Japanese soldier.

Thank you very much again for your kindest comments guys!

How do you do barney! Thanks for your precious experience with your mother too.
That sounds very impressive.

Tour is almost ending but I will try to check if anything more there before leaving.

07.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG

Last edited:
How do you do barney! Thanks for your precious experience with your mother too.
That sounds very impressive.

I've enjoyed your posts for some years now so I find it a privilege to write you a few words. Here is what I think is an amusing story concerning the trunk of WWII memorabilia.

My parents were married two weeks before my father was inducted into the army and they were very much in love. My mother saved every possible item from that time, ration cards, the things you put in your window if a husband or a son was in the service, newspaper clippings and anything she received in the mail from her husband.

My father wrote every day. Once overseas, he couldn't reveal his location, the censors cut a hole in his letter if he did. By the way, I wonder how the ships and planes crossing the oceans during this time could carry anything else with all this mail. Well, my father got the idea of visiting places of interest (like a castle in England) and found that if he mailed a brochure it would go through. Thus, he figured his sweetheart always knew where he was. When he got home the question she had for him was, "Why were you sending me all of this stuff?"

Anyway, like your visit to the museum, although not nearly so grim, the trip into trunk presented a picture of life as it was back then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back