Japanese Maples

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Charles nice looking C.Q. Dissectum. remember you can go ahead and prune that baby in May if need be, this is when I clean out my big boy out front of dead wood and open it up for all to see the twisting branches for effect.

Erich: She's not going to take much pruning. The back side (away from the
lens) was really tore up from being run over by a pick-up truck. I pruned
it rather harshly after I got it planted. Now I have just a little die-back.

After she blossoms out, I'll put up another pic.

Oh.... I talked to another JM collector, and he tells me he's had aphids.
Guess I'm lucky....

Charles

Charles could be your climate, Aphis love high humidity levels in early spring, I have to actually spray a dormant spray with oil in late winter before the buds swell or as they swell but before leaves come out and this does not always do the job. Maple leaves like these which are very thin do not take chemical applications very well, it has to be early morn and cool, without any intensity of the sun.

well even with the back side of your maple somewhat out of touch you can always rope, tie it off for the branches to turn and form new areas of growth, just being careful you do not do it in later summer when the growth hardens off or you will break the twigs/limbs. you are probably very aware of this already dealing with your grafts as they get older and start to multi-branch..........

on your recommendation of Forest Farms I think I will make a little trip later next month and pick up an O-Taki for the yard, like the almost "vine-Maple" like leaves and I have seen these in the fall farther to my north with specimens some 30 feet tall...........my gosh the colour spectrum is livid in bright orange/yellow, pink, reds-crimson with edges in dark purple

Eric:

If you go to ForrestFarm, be sure to tell Ray Prag I sent you. I need the
points. Also ask him if he has an Abigail Rose in a "tube size" or a No. 1.
If so to let me know, he has my email address.

For the rest of the forum members who are interested in JM's, here's three
of mine that have blossomed. The yardstick on the Goshiki Kotohime is
showing just about 25 inches. This tree is six years old.

Charles

Attachments

• Shishigashira.jpg
    Shishigashira.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Goshiki.jpg
    Goshiki.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Macawa.jpg
    Macawa.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 114
sweet little trees Charles. I ahve a green palmate form about 20 feet high now nestled in with a Sequoia tree whcih the two of them form a special micro-climate with undergrowth comeing out early and dropping leaves late same applies with the JM. this maple is the first to leaf out and they are very small right now, the other 5-6 maples in the yard have barely broken bud, of course they are more exposed to the elements with the snow on the hills and wind it will be another week or longer at least. Charles I'll gladly hook up with
Ray Ping when we get a chance to visit in April, that should give me time to see what he has in stock by the way of colour and size of the leaves

E ~

Took a real hard look at this years grafts on Sunday. Not a good year !
I grafted 24 and it appears eight will make it. However, I do know why.
I'm a victim of scion shift. This occurs when the graft shifts, while bagging,
usually due to the budding rubber not being tight enough. Most of the grafts
are over 20 days old. If they are not going to take, they turn black or white.
Four of the grafts were sent to me by my mentor in Auburn, Ala. and are
JM's that I don't have.

You can only graft JM's in Feb/Mar or Jul/Aug depending on your part of the
country. South of me would be earlier, north later. I'm kinda in the middle
of the "window". We'll do it again in July.

I'll have pic's when the buds open.

Charles

funny you mention July as to my north they make their second application of fertilizer on small seedlings as well as mature trees as the JM's put on a second growth period. As my largest trees-dissectums are on the hot west facing I don't dare do that due to sever leaf burn

alright Les ! welcome to the club.............. so to speak. I'd give you pointers on how to keep her going big time but Charles is closer to you thus knowing full well the weather conditions and what to expect. We have had between 23-25F temps every morn for a week, the only Maple awaken in my yard is slightly under a giant Sequoia tree in my backyard, a very special climate zone, the other maples are still in bud waiting for the official spring temps to arrive though getting upwards of 65F the cold is still keeping them very slow..........Les do you now the name of the J. Maple ?

Thanks Erich....

The JM is one that Charles sent to Becca and I... It is a generic Acer palmatum f. atropurpureum...

Not sure if its a Bloodgood or a Crimson Queen... Not sure exactly how old she is, Charles would know all this info better than I...

Dan: The JM I sent you is about two years old. It is the seedling of a
Bloodgood. I see it's close to the house.... I hope it's in a pot !

I see that one of this February's grafts has started to bud out, so I have
enclose a pick of my new Ukigumo.

Charles

Attachments

• Ukigumo.jpg
    Ukigumo.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 70
Yes Charles, she's in a small pot on the west side of the house....

Dan: The east side would be better. That way (if it gets hot) it would
only get the morning sun. The house would shade the tree, as the sun
moves to the west, from the hot afternoon sun. Hope the pot is at least
one gallon in size.

Looks good, tho....

Charles

if you have late afternoon - by 3 pm shade onward then you are ok to grow on the west side, mine get full west for most of the day but come August the leaves get burned tips and the colour turns bronze on the red varieties, the green seems to fade well to a dark green but with red burned edges, besides the direct "hot" sun you have to take into consideration the hot wind which is death on these little trees

well guys I have a Palmate upright that is starting to bloom...........small leaves and seed flowers yellow/red, but it is almost freezing again everything very wet we are suppose to dry out this week and warm up so maybe when time permits out comes the camera to show you what a specimen plant of 15 years looks like for leaf, though the variety I speak of is very common as it is non-named but in a very warm spot in the garden. The other 8 Jap maples are just starting to spring bud .......... but I do see several flower/seed clusters on one dissectum and on Tsukushigata growing in a pot

Looking forward to the pic's, Erich. Most of mine are in various stages of opening. The Katsura is an early bloomer, while Hogyoku is just now starting to open. All last years grafts are open except Wou Nishiki. That bothers me 'cause it's such a tiny thing..... But I'm hoping.

Didja see my new Ukigumo ??

Charles

All of last years grafts are open except Wou Nishiki. That bothers me 'cause it's such a tiny thing..... But I'm hoping.

Charles

Wou Nishiki has started to open ! I am elated, See pic attached..
Now is that tiny or what ?? FYI, the plastic label is 1/2" wide !

Charles

Attachments

• Wou Nishiki.jpg
    Wou Nishiki.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 75

Users who are viewing this thread

Back