Japanese Maples

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mr. C your baby is looking good in your front yard. I have the very same on the corner of my house. They truly are beautiful trees.

We're having a plant sale at the Lodge, today Sat. the 25th. I took 15
three year old and 21 two year old JM's over there to sell. Also took 36
spider plants, but don't expect them to do too much.

Charles

See my note, above about the plant sale at the Lodge. I did better than I
expected. The trees and stuff sold for $285.00 [usd], and the Lodges cut
was $80.00, so I came home with $205.00.

Not too shabby......

Charles

congrats Charles

if I ever get any time will take pics the elaves are big and the J. Maples are quite thick this year, am pruning leggy growth this morning and removing dead branches...........it's going to literally take weeks to get them looking good in my mind. one large specimen in a pot blew over while we are amiss and looks totally retarded now the growth-leaves in the opposite direction so need to secure it in a protected spot for weeks towards the arching sunlight.

E ~

too tired to think Bill, thought we could at least be home long enough to get chores done around here but have to leave for north again in 3-4 days. will give you a ring when and hopeful this is done up in May, this is driving me nutz, the parents have lost it mentally, Kath goes in for weird biopsies today ...rats in an hour.

sorry Charles for hogging your thread.......

E ~

Charles any more pics and how do things look in the yard/nursery stock ? still too wet here and windy, things are looking kinda crappy right now, looks like it is going to let loose in 5 minutes but we could use the rain.

E ~ heading to some nurseries this friday to my north to check other Jap maples varieties.............like I need any more. ;)

E: A firend once told me, "You can never have too many Japanese Maples." I'll try to get some pic's today and put them
up. The winter was not very kind to me. I lost 2 - two year old JM's, a Bloodgood and a Crimson Queen. Also, quite a
few of my JM's have suffered from the freeze, and had to be severely cut back. I probably lost twenty of the generic
JM's, I really didn't count them.

Charles

sorry to hear of the fatalities but look at it this way, less to take care of and more room for more Maples plus room for those you already own to spread their branches. One side of the front yard is done pruning the large Beni Shidare, well................that is another story it's interior needs cleaning when time permits and I am still in the area. the maples in the backyard are done and will take pics maybe this weekend as it is suppose to return to summer heat in the 90's, but no wind so at least no camera vibration. silly Palmate seedlings in all the pots and lawn......nasty little things ~ :D

ok Charles how do the "kids" look now as we are into spring.......well sort of. had to wrap the trunks of 2 specimens in pots for sun-scald over the years and new fresh layers of fine/medium bark over the top of the roots showing. 92F today forecasted a tad hot for early spring on these touchy plants

E ~ greets to E. Mae for me

So Erich or Charles what am I doing wrong on mine?She has been in the ground for about a year.I figured it was partly due to the fact of the transplant like my regular Maple out front did this also for two years but it's thrid year is really looking good.Now I did put a fertilizer stake about 3-4 months ago about 2' out.When first started blooming she really looked good maybe 2 1/2 -03 months ago but the last month has brought this.We had some fair rain in the week but prior to that it has been dry.Thks Kevin

Attachments

• jm 002 (1000 x 750).jpg
    jm 002 (1000 x 750).jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 75
  • jm 001 (1000 x 750)_edited.jpg
    jm 001 (1000 x 750)_edited.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
looks to me Javlin you have a very nice variegated variety, you are doing nothing wrong except place it by a chain link fence a tad close

do not be alarmed what these tyope of smaller and more delicate J. maples will do is put out a "sport" that will go back to the original root stock palmate leaf type which is shown in the larger solid green leaves. Now be aware that even these can even with the largeness have the variegated colors run within the leaves, some will some will stay solid green.

if the growth of this remains too vigorous I would suggest cutting it out but do not wait too long in the summer so the cuts will heal quickly, the longer you wait the plant hardens off and will not heal sufficiently before first frost of the fall...

E ~ hope this all makes sense

So Erich I do not need to be concerned about the brown fringing on the leaves?My wife was thinking it was to much fertilizer.The tag stated this breed should get about 15-25' in height.It is on the East side of the yard with some shade above from a big Oak and during the course of the day probably gets about 3-4 hrs of direct sunlight early in the day.I want it to grow to a decent height my Wife has a little rock garden around it with a vine growing foliage that stays on the ground above the rocks.Thks again Kevin

the browning could be a variety of factors, could be too much of a good thing - fertilizer but nothing you can do about that unless it drops those leaves and they are replaced which is usually by mid-July in the NW.

remember as it is variegated it is extremely touchie, most Jap maples are to some degree but the smaller slower growing ones such as yours is even more so. Afternoon sun will scorch the crap out of it and when it gets beyond 95F even in the sahde they like a little humidity with a nice water mist over them.

as soon as the sun settles behind the ridge to our west in mid-summer I take the hose and water of the foliage of the 3 J. maples out front that face west....

E ~

Both Matt and Erich have been asking about my Crimson Queen that's in the front yard, so I took a pic today. Also took
a pic of the Bloodgood in the back yard. The CQ is eleven years old and about five feet tall. The Bloodgood is only
five years old and is about six feet tall.

If you recall, the CQ was rescued from the front of Hall Mazda, after a pickup backed over it.

Also here's a pic of the greenhouse...

Charles

Attachments

• Crinson_Queen.JPG
    Crinson_Queen.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Bloodgood1.JPG
    Bloodgood1.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Green_house.JPG
    Green_house.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 115
Charles what side do these little guys face - west, south, north, east ? My Beni Shidare faces west sadly and goes from a very nice red to bronze due to hot wind and too much sun but the same applies for the upright Suminigashi of which you have seeds.

will be interested to see just how those little ones proceed along in life.

E ~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back