Japanese Maples

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich: The Crimson Queen faces south, it's in full sun all day long, no shade at all. The bloodgood gets the morning sun til
about 1300-1400 then it's in the shade of a big..... [make that humongous] ....oak tree in my neighbor's yard.

The seedlings from the seeds you sent me are about five inches tall. Their color varies from green to red and everything
in between. I also see an abundance of lace leafs, and thinn leafs ala Koto No Ito, if you know what I mean. I'll get some
picks of the seedlings tomorrow.

Charles

yep the Crimson queen will fade out unless cooler weather arrives for the rest of the summer. the red varieties are so stinking touch in the dissectum group the large leaf palmate can handle heat waves pretty well especially the green varieties

will look forward to pics soon of the little guys

For Erich and any others who may be interested, here are some pic's of the seedlings from the seeds Erich sent me
from Oregon, last fall. The rack of the 'cone-tainers' holds 200 seedlings. The other pic's are to show the different leaf
patterns and colors.

Charles

Attachments

• Seedlings1.JPG
    Seedlings1.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Seedlings2.JPG
    Seedlings2.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Seedlings3.JPG
    Seedlings3.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Seedlings4.JPG
    Seedlings4.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 130
what a hoot Charles !

well hopeful there will be some sort of distinction within the next 5 years so you can tell variety.

Erich, and the other's who may be interested. In the above pic (post 143) is the set of "cone-tainers" that holds 200
JM seedlings. They are ready for repotting into bands, and I'll start that tomorrow. Of the 200 I lost 21 over the winter,
which for our area was unusually harsh. Lots of days when the temp never got above freezing. They are a bit late
opening up, probably because we went from cold to hot.... another year of no spring-like weather.

Pic's after the repotting...

Charles

Eric:

I started this year with about 400 - one, two and three year old JM's. I've been going to the flea markets selling them.
I have a feed&seed store selling them on consignment, and have sold them at the house. Would you believe, I have about
75 left ? The seeds I got from you are getting to be nice, and I have been repotting them as time permits. I've pulled out
all the lace leafs, and are seperating the greens from the reds. I see a few veragated, and hope they stay that way.

Some of my named JM's have been re-potted, having outgrown their pots. The weather is getting hot.... in the high 80's
all this week, and that will take it's toll on their leaves.

Try to get you some pic's.

Charles

only 75 left ? ! congrats Charles, good man, well folks in your area will be most happy.

please post me pics as well as this thread. My Suminigashi, the upright palmatum is covered with green/red seeds this year, the dissectums hardly anything.

the big green Osakasuzi is also covered with seeds.

thanks for pulling this thread back up

E ~

Yea, I'd like to see pics as well. These guys have always fascinated me. We had a large one in front of a plant I used to work at.

OK, you guys. Took the time, this am, to take a few pic's.

The first pic is of a red grean lace leaf.
The second pic is a mix of red and green broad leaf.
The third is a fine all green specimen.

Enjoy,

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_1859.JPG
    DSC_1859.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_1858.JPG
    DSC_1858.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_1857.JPG
    DSC_1857.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 65
How old are the red ones?

Approximately six months...... seven at the most..... Erich sent me the seeds in Sept of '09, they spent
about 100 days in the fridge, then into my "cone-tainers". I've been re-potting for weeks. Finally got
them all repotted. I lost 21 over the winter..... we had four days where the temp never went above freezing.

Charles

I never get tired of these trees. I really need to take a pic of mine an post it, Mr. C. Around here the dang things are actually stolen out of your yard if you live in some remote areas. That's how prized (and expensive) they are.

This past summer was unusually hard on my JM's. I lost three real JM's, a Katsura, a Hogyoku and a Bene Otaka. Each
was a least five years old. No explanation, all my trees get watered at the same time. I also lost 22 of the seedlings
Erich sent me.... most of them red varieties. It seems the green varieties hold up better in the heat, which we had plenty
of. For six weeks the temperature never went below 90 F/32 C. All of the lost trees were on the east side of the house
so they only got the morning sun. By 1300 they were in the shade. I have several that are in fun sun, all day long, and
they fared quite well. Looking forward to another growing season, as Erich promised me some more seeds.

Charles

Erich came through on the seeds he promised me. He sent me about 2,000 !!
I have separated the red and the green, and they are being "stratified" as we speak.
Stratification is putting them in moist peet moss and putting them in the fridge for
90 to 120 days.

Have some pic's of fall color:
1. Bloodgood
2. Crimson Queen
3. Macaba Yatsubusa

Charles

Attachments

• Bloodgood2.jpg
    Bloodgood2.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Crimson Queen3.jpg
    Crimson Queen3.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Macaba Yatsubusa.jpg
    Macaba Yatsubusa.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I await the masses Charles, think the tall Red one "Sumingashi" is still pregnant she is loaded even with the fat red squirrels climbing up the limbs and eating the seeds the last month.

E `

NICE

colours came out real good C. My Dissectum Beni Shidare which is more than 15 feet across now was pumpkin almost neon orange before the rains turned her brown, the thing glowed at dusk the colours were so intense. the mass of seeds - Suminigashi was intense Crimson this year and lasted for over 3 weeks and at back of the property, Osakazuki was wild with intense Red mixed with Orange. Was I smart enough to take pics.........................nnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo

hey is that a Rhody in the second pic in the background ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back