Japanese Meatball Indentification

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would say the relic lines up pretty good with the photo of the silver K5Y1 that Shinpachi posted.

On both there is a 'line' through the middle with 'stitching' lines on either side.

That line in the middle seems to be a dopped lap joint which is used to join "pannels" of fabric together. After looking at the info that Shinpachi has supplied, it may have been from the fuselage as it seems this aircraft makes little use of stringers. I'd still like to see any pics showing the stiching from the inside of a K5Y, but it seems that would be as rare as snake sweat!

That line in the middle seems to be a dopped lap joint which is used to join "pannels" of fabric together. After looking at the info that Shinpachi has supplied, it may have been from the fuselage as it seems this aircraft makes little use of stringers. I'd still like to see any pics showing the stiching from the inside of a K5Y, but it seems that would be as rare as snake sweat!

Yes the middle 'line' would be a doped lap joint joining panels of fabric. Several inches above, and below, that line there is other lines with stitching.

Thanks everybody. It sounds like we're getting close. Just wanted to remeasure and take some more pics. The inner circle diameter is 35 1/2" and the outside diameter is 40 1/16". The distance between the frame ties is 14 1/2". Sorry about the size, it's on the lowest resolution and I don't know how to zoom out anymore.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 146
Thanks everybody. It sounds like we're getting close. Just wanted to remeasure and take some more pics. The inner circle diameter is 35 1/2" and the outside diameter is 40 1/16". The distance between the frame ties is 14 1/2". Sorry about the size, it's on the lowest resolution and I don't know how to zoom out anymore.

That coincides with Shinpachi's drawing. I think that's it!

Just read through his entire thread. The wealth of information in this forums is astounding. You guys took a raggedy piece of a plane and found its source :shock: .

I agree, most impressed. I now know where to turn for the thousands of other unidentified objects we have in our collection. I shall return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back