Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Escuadrilla Azul

Staff Sergeant
Feb 27, 2020
Both Germany and Japan came to use a similar solution for their nightfighters: obliquely mounted cannons.

As far as I'm able to find, both came roughly at the same time (1943, japanese slightly latter) but I do not come across any source that stated that there was any knowledge transfer between them.

That was a shared solution or sheer coincidence?

Never heard about that.

That could explain but what puzzles me is that no other nation came to the the same solution, beside the time coincide

It was a rather forgotten idea that had to be rediscovered by german and japanese aviators.
Even the british who where on the other side of the gun probably had no real idea what happended to their bombers until late in the war when some bombers survived with strange bullet paths through the aircraft's structure and after getting hand on a such-equipped aircraft

For the British the time it took to work out the fact that the Germans were using guns that pointed in a different direction than the aircraft was flying is puzzling because not only did the British use upward firing guns in WW I as A. G. Williams has said, but the British had built a number of different fighters in the late 1920s using the 37mm COW gun.
See the 37mm COW gun in Google for pictures of the gun and several fignters.

For the British the time it took to work out the fact that the Germans were using guns that pointed in a different direction than the aircraft was flying is puzzling because not only did the British use upward firing guns in WW I as A. G. Williams has said, but the British had built a number of different fighters in the late 1920s using the 37mm COW gun.
Thanks, never heard about that either

Thanks, never heard about that either
Hi
The COW Gun fighters were designed for Specification F.29/27 and required to fly under enemy bomber formation passing overhead at 20,000 feet at a speed of 150 mph, the gun to be angled upwards at 45 degrees. 'Armament of British Aircraft 1909-1939' by H F King, Putnam 1971, has some information on this:
WW2RAFsqnest131.jpg

WW2RAFsqnest128.jpg

WW2RAFsqnest129.jpg
WW2RAFsqnest130.jpg

Mike

The idea for the night fighter with the upward gun in Japan was suggested by Cdr. Yasuna Kozono in Rabaul during the continual and persistent night attacks by the B-17s in May, 1942 and realized as an experimental night fighter in February, 1943. Formally adopted as the J1N1-S in August the year. A common factor between Japan and Germany would be the B-17.

It was a rather forgotten idea that had to be rediscovered by german and japanese aviators.
Even the british who where on the other side of the gun probably had no real idea what happended to their bombers until late in the war when some bombers survived with strange bullet paths through the aircraft's structure and after getting hand on a such-equipped aircraft

Not sure I agree that it was a "forgotten idea." The Boulton Paul Defiant, which was designed as a bomber-killer, could easily have elevated its guns to rake the underside of a bomber.

1646147166880.png

IIRC the RAF also experimented with a battery of upwards-firing guns in the upper fuselage of a Douglas A-20, in the area where the upper hinged hatch is located (open hatch is shown in the image below). AFAIK the installation was never used operationally.

1646147005981.png

The Gloster G.39 was a response to an Air Ministry order for such an equipped aircraft, if I remember right.

The P-61 was able to perform the role with it's upper turret, though I don't recall if it was ever used in that fashion.

Not sure I agree that it was a "forgotten idea." The Boulton Paul Defiant, which was designed as a bomber-killer, could easily have elevated its guns to rake the underside of a bomber.

View attachment 659800

IIRC the RAF also experimented with a battery of upwards-firing guns in the upper fuselage of a Douglas A-20, in the area where the upper hinged hatch is located (open hatch is shown in the image below). AFAIK the installation was never used operationally.

View attachment 659799
Hi
The above mentioned gun system fitted to RAF Havoc BD126 is illustrated in Tim Mason's ''The Secret Years, Flight Testing at Boscombe Down 1939-1945', Hikoki, 1998:
WW2RAFsqnest132.jpg

Mike

Hi
The above mentioned gun system fitted to RAF Havoc BD126 is illustrated in Tim Mason's ''The Secret Years, Flight Testing at Boscombe Down 1939-1945', Hikoki, 1998:
View attachment 659804
Mike

Thanks Mike. I knew I'd seen it in Mason's book...I just didn't have time to dig it out. Appreciate including the pics...and having the timing of this experimental modification further reinforces my contention that this wasn't a "forgotten idea."

Could and did.

One of the standard tactics for Defiants during night fighting operations in 1941 and 1942 was to identify a German bomber from underneath and to the side, and then to maneuver to fire at it from a position beneath it (not necessarily directly underneath though).

It wasn't wholly successful as a tactic, but that was more up to the equipment than the technique. The Defiant was relatively slow and the 4 x .303 armament needed luck to hit something vital to bring a bomber down.

Truly puzzling.
From the time ME-110s deployed in mass with schrage muzik and they were discovered by the Brits was approximately 9 MONTHS!
Leading night fighter ace Heinz Wolfgang Schaufer said his preferred tactic was to ghost under a Lancaster wing and fire a 2-second burst into the fuel tanks, thus avoiding setting off the bomb load and downing himself. On his most successful mission, he said the bombers kept lining up for him, making it so easy that after 7, he tired of killing and returned to base.

Lastly, while a lot of the time it took to figure out what was happening to the missing bombers was blamed on the lack of a surviving tail gunner to debrief, months before the formal deployment of schrage muzik A CAPTURED GERMAN MECHANIC HAD REVEALED ITS EXISTENCE DURING AN INTERROGATION!!🤦🏻 No one was listening.

Lastly, in an effort to save morale, the RAF told it's aircrews that a lot of those flaming bombers they witnessed hurtling towards Earth were in reality secret shells those crafty Germans were shooting into the air that upon bursting simulated the effect of a flaming bomber. Nothing to worry about, old boy, just the jerrys tugging at your knickers again…

Last edited:
Lastly, while a lot of the time it took to figure out what was happening to the missing bombers was blamed on the lack of a surviving tail gunner to debrief, months before the formal deployment of schrage muzik A CAPTURED GERMAN MECHANIC HAD REVEALED ITS EXISTENCE DURING AN INTERROGATION!!🤦🏻 No one was listening.

That's very interesting. Have some link to share?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back