Japanese Throttle Quadrant (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was very fortunate to recently acquire a throttle quadrant from a Japanese fighter, but having a bit of difficulty conclusively identifying its original aircraft.

Based upon what I assume to be the location of the firing mechanism at the top of the throttle (a button and a squeeze lever), I'm speculating that this was used in a generation of the A6M Zero, since a similar firing mechanism appeared in the A6M5. In addition, I'm trying to determine the functions of the two lower rear push/pull controls (one white circular knob above the other, a black L-shaped lever).

Any insights are welcome and greatly appreciated!
DSCN2645.JPGDSCN2650.JPGDSCN2647.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Geo.
I have checked cockpit pictures of a couple of dozens Japanese aircraft to understand there are very few cockpit pictures of the Ki-43.

Shinpachi, thanks so much! Excellent information! I greatly appreciate the translation.
But I'm not clear on "Auto Altitude Valve Adjuster"... are we talking about supercharger adjustment?

You are welcome, John.
The auto altitude valve is a function of the carburetor to adjust the gas mixture according to the altitude automatically.
This seems to be called AMC (Auto Mixture Control).

Sidebar: I noted in Whirlwind that while interservice rivalry sometimes represented a Second Front along the Potomac, in Tokyo it was a full-contact sport. To the extent of different aircraft weapons and opposite types of throttles. The IJA was influenced by the French with pull-to-go levers while the RN influenced IJN had push-to-go.

Sheesh.

Must've been real interesting when swapping cockpits at joint conferences.
Additionally:
In several locations IJN and IJA radar sites were almost side by side because neither branch wanted to rely on the other.

Power cycle in Tokyo is 50Hz while 60Hz in Osaka.
This is also a legacy of rapid westernization since 1868.
JASDF staff want to show they are better English speakers than JGSDF.
This would be another legacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back