Japanese Throttle Quadrant

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was very fortunate to recently acquire a throttle quadrant from a Japanese fighter, but having a bit of difficulty conclusively identifying its original aircraft.

Based upon what I assume to be the location of the firing mechanism at the top of the throttle (a button and a squeeze lever), I'm speculating that this was used in a generation of the A6M Zero, since a similar firing mechanism appeared in the A6M5. In addition, I'm trying to determine the functions of the two lower rear push/pull controls (one white circular knob above the other, a black L-shaped lever).

Any insights are welcome and greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Geo.
I have checked cockpit pictures of a couple of dozens Japanese aircraft to understand there are very few cockpit pictures of the Ki-43.

Shinpachi, thanks so much! Excellent information! I greatly appreciate the translation.
But I'm not clear on "Auto Altitude Valve Adjuster"... are we talking about supercharger adjustment?

You are welcome, John.
The auto altitude valve is a function of the carburetor to adjust the gas mixture according to the altitude automatically.
This seems to be called AMC (Auto Mixture Control).

Sidebar: I noted in Whirlwind that while interservice rivalry sometimes represented a Second Front along the Potomac, in Tokyo it was a full-contact sport. To the extent of different aircraft weapons and opposite types of throttles. The IJA was influenced by the French with pull-to-go levers while the RN influenced IJN had push-to-go.

Sheesh.

Must've been real interesting when swapping cockpits at joint conferences.
Additionally:
In several locations IJN and IJA radar sites were almost side by side because neither branch wanted to rely on the other.

Users who are viewing this thread