Junkers Ju88

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I imagine it was...ideal for the Soviets...

I don't think having decent sight mattered..just point them in the direction of the hoards of German bombers and away they ram... :lol: :lol:

The UBT machine gun on the back of the Il-2 was possibly the most effective rear defense an attack aircraft carried during the war so hang around on the tail of one wasn't the safest thing to do.

I'm not sure what Hartman shot down most, but citing him hardly proves a point. Hartman could have shot down just about anything (he was just that good). The average German pilot would have found the Il-2 a tough kill.

And it's not like the Russians were idiots. Their fighters flew cover for their attack planes just like everyone else did.

The Yak-3s were good but nothing to soil yourself about, well anymore than any other enemy fighter. The Il-2s had a very high loss rate, to AAA and enemy fighters.
They were concrete sitting ducks...but a very good tank buster.

That's true. The Russians built something like 35,000 of them. It's reported that Stalin said the Red Army needed Il-2s like it needed bread.

i'd imagine they had allot of surplus IL-2's after the war, even if allot had been shot down, there were so many there would always be allot left over................

I haven't heard of any combat reports after 1945 so they must have been scrapped or sent to museums.

They might have sent a few to the North Korean airforce for use in Korea. But I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back