Junkers Ju88

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have heard there are, but I don't know where.

They have two Il-2s at Sandtoft down the road from me in Lincolnshire but I don't know their status.

The Il-2 was the better tank-buster but the Tiffy wasn't bad. And the Tiffy was much better as a fighter, though definitely not the best.

I don't know how you can even compare the two - The Il-2 was a heavy two-seat ground-attack fighter, the Typhoon a powerful single-seat fighter-bomber, which went a long to off-setting the Fw-190's Air-Supremacy. It was a very stable Attack-platform, and with RP's was like the 'Cruiser-broadside' Mosquitos and contributed greatly to pre-D-Day preparations and pushing the Germans back to Germany...it's high-altitude-fighter relative, the Tempest sorted-out the Air-supremacy factor, along with Mustangs and the later Spitfires...the Typhoon MORE than earned it's place in History...I'd have sooner sat in one of them than an Il-2... - They've even named their lastest jet-fighter-bomber ''Typhoon'' again...[ mumble, mumble..]

We weren't comparing the two. We were saying they were both good because they are being restored.
Yes, this new Eurofigther is supposed to be great though, that's what they said about the Tornado so I'm yet to be swayed.

Does anyone Know exactly where and by who the Tiffy's are being restored by ?...I do know one of them is an ex-198 Sqn. aircraft, but I've especially been trying to find out more about them. - And if I appear a little defensive of Typhoons, I apologise... 'C'est la guerre'...

Did you know that when this country got its orders of Tornados it 'moth balled' at least two squadrons worth of Aircraft. Brand new aircraft put into storage to be used as spare parts because they were faulty or just crap.

The RADAR altimeter used to bounce off the under-carriage. Seriously not many people know this, nor should they know but billions was wasted on those hunks of crap.

The Pilot would be coming down to land: '200ft...putting under-carriage down....7ft...' looks outside and he's still like 150ft off the deck, the RADAR altimeter was bouncing off the under-carriage. And that's only one of the problems.

The old ones won't have, they can't. You can't change the position of the RAD-Alt without completely re-designing the plane. Those aircraft will probably still being used as spare parts. Plus the fact that wasn't the only problem with the aircraft, trust me, it's crap.

I'd like to respond to the original posting if I may............ :idea:

the Ju 88G-1 and G-6 nachtjäger was fitted with 4 forward firing 2cm weapons and usually a fitting for 1-2 upward (Schräge-waffen), oblique guns. Rear defence was a sole MG 131 13mm gun.

there were no G-7 versions as this was an additon by the RAF after the war to the existing G-6 versions named a-c due to the radar array set-ups, but there was only the G-6 with no particular seperate variance.

v/r

E ~

Nice...seem to know your stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back