Junkers Ju88

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not according to my research...there was a G-7a and a G-7b, differing from the G-6c by having Jumo 213E engines, driving VS 19 airscrews and equipped with a MW 50 boost system, the two 33 Imp MW 50 tanks being installed in the wings - this system resulted in 1,608 hp, plus 414 lb of thrust at 29-30,000 ft. The G-7a had FuG 220 Lichtenstein SN-2, the 4-pole 'Stag's Antlers'./ - The Ju88 G-7b had FuG 228 Lichtenstein SN-3, but the Allies jammed that band , so they switched to Fug 218 'Neptun' VR with the 'Morning Star' aerial array - they stuck it in a wooden nose cone with Naxos Z, in the finish./ - The G-7c had FuG 240 'Berlin' N-1a, which evolved from their studies of a captured British H2S. - Only 10 sets were available before production was stuffed by Air raids, then War's-end...

sorry friend but there was NOT as G-7 series a/c.

I am writing a book on the Junkers Ju 88G-6 and crews and it should be published in about two years. All 88's with the late FuG 220d and Rückwarts configs and FuG 218 and FuG 240a1 Berlin were Ju 88G-6's. I have the documentation plus the pilot/crew interviews.

Am not sure just what references you are using..........may I ask ?

have been interviewing and collecting pertinent dat on the German Nachtjagd for over 35 years, and having a cousin that was Gruppenkommandeur of II./NJG 5 where he was KIA.

Now U guyz know a little bit more about my background..........

E~

We know something about you, but there really is nothing interesting to know about me. So I never bother. :lol:

well mention yourself ! it is unfortunate that the profile for each member is so limited in space and it isn;t just this site either. I'd be interested to kow more about the members personal interests and maybe this could be placed as a new forum header or thread ? well it was just a thought..............

E ~

a Ju 88G-6 foto from Denmark serving with NJG 3. End of war.........

Attachments

• ju88-2.jpg
    ju88-2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 103
Ah, I wondered why you seemed very sure of the facts in your post ! - Welcome Erich ! - I am but a student of WWII Aviation History, having read extensively over the years...I've only been into PC's for roughly a year, but it has allowed me greater latitude to learn more, which is why I enjoy this Site so much [when I've time.] - The old adage ' You don't learn when you're busy talking,' certainly applies here ! - The information I've provided comes from 'The Warplanes of the Third Reich,' by William Green, which I'm currently reading, and a most comprehensive read it is too.- But I do concur that not everything written is necessarily correct...I applaud your challenging task of writing such a book;- Indeed , I look forward to reading it, once completed... - I am a Signartist by trade, and am very into Aviation Art, a rather heavily-indulged Craft these days, so I thoroughly understand the need for deeply-researched, historically accurate representation of the facts. My interest lately is mostly centred on my own RNZAF Aircrew contributions of WWII, but have read widely on most aspects of the Conflict. - As with Aviation Art research, you would find that the ranks of the Aircrew from WWII are now thinning considerably, their contribution of the facts, after 60 odd years, are still very valid...- So I shall 'watch learn', as a good student should, and again, it's great to have you on the site....

thank you ery much for the warm welcome !

first it takes litertally years of studying and chatting with veterans to build up a data base. I have William's classic but yes it does have errors in it. Take a look at the materials on the Ju 390 and operational history. first there was no flight to New Yirk by FAGr 5 and secondly there was no flight to manchuria either by the same unit.

ok enough of that OT. I really want to emphasize that you English friends get out there and interview as many RAF pilots, crews as humanly possible as the 60 th anniversary of D-day is coming up shortly. You will find that many groups are planning to attend across the pond and it is a prime time for you chaps to get out your notebooks, cameras and interview them "one last time". they will perfectly understand and you will have a treasure in your hands that will last your lifetime. Look through your search engines on the Halifax, lancaster, Mosquito, etc...........and check for fighter/bomber groups and squadrons. many have web-master that are related in some way to crewmen, and then ask questions of them.................it is not as hard as it sounds.

Erich

That's going to be a lot of travelling if I'm going down there.

Lanc as I said I have been doing the researching for years...........and many phone calls and airshows and of course many, many letters to vets all over the world.

Erich

Thankyou Erich - Yes , you're quite right about this marvellous oppurtunity coming-up to contact these veterans...I'm quite envious of my English American fellows on this site, that have all this at their doorstep. I've only been able to make these types of contacts over this last year via email to Warbird Squadron Associations, and with toll calls. You can sit on line here and shoot the breeze, but real facts emerge with contact with Veterans. Apart from tracking down info on an ancestor killed flying Typhoons, and my Aviation Art interest, it's provided me with alot more knowledge by making contact - Even joining Assn.'s is very valuable...These Vets are going to travel to their battlegrounds shortly, I even read about Paul Tibbets [Enola Gay's pilot] now 89, is going back to Tinian June 16 for the Anniversary...Go for it , guys, chance of a lifetime...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back