Keyboard....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
My chair collapsed under me last night...(stop laughing)...while having a smooth cuppa. Now some of the keys are rather, well you know.....they're still working.
Is it safe to open the keybaoard up and clean it?

(I said stop laughing!)

Not much in there apart from a PCB, so if you're careful, it should be OK. But, if it hasn't shorted anywhere, it should dry out itself anyway - unless there's a lot of crystalized sugar in there!
Mine keeps getting full of things like biscuits crumbs (don't even ask!), and I just turn it upside down and give it a shake now and then!
Worst case scenario is a new keyboard, from about £6 or £9 upwards from Argos etc, or I have a spare one if you need it.

Just leave it until the sticky stuff dries out and hardens, then it should fall out! Personally, I wouldn't take it apart, especially if it's a slim design, as they can be a real b*gg*r to get back together, keeping everything aligned - unless you've got a 15 year old Chinese person around, who will assemble probably 100 per hour!!

i have had to tear a couple apart and clean them. i only did this when i had no other option. turn the keyboard over and leave keys down...take a picture of the key placement ( just in case..). slowly separate the back and do not force anything. basically your keys are proped up by a cone shaped spring. they have a conductive rubber tit on the bottom that completes a connection on the circuit board. clean everything with a good grade rubbing alcohol and use cotton swabs for the hard to reach places. its tedious work....good luck.

Don't know about what is or is not available where you are but ENDUST brand make a special spray for electronic items. i spray it over everything with no problems once it evaporates. If you can, spray into the keyboard and let the excess drain out. maybe that way you'll flush the crud out.
And further, considering your "materials failure" perhaps there is another issue you'd best attend too...

Attachments

• charlie-weis-fat-hangs-over-chair.jpg
    charlie-weis-fat-hangs-over-chair.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Consider picking up a wireless keyboard. Its knida nice to lean back in your chair and put the keyboard on your lad once in a while.

perhaps if you were not on the "naughty list Santa would get you one of these

Attachments

• ori__1884132249_38450_Pair_of_Massive_Unbelievable_Lounge_Chairs_By_Frigerio.jpg
    ori__1884132249_38450_Pair_of_Massive_Unbelievable_Lounge_Chairs_By_Frigerio.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 149
I once spilled a whole glass of coke in my keyboard.
I unplugged the thing, wiped off the worst mess, opened the thing, wiped everything off with a hard-wrought kitchen rag, cleaned the insides and the keys with isopropylalcohol, and let dry for a day while using my spare keyboard.
Reassembled it all, plugged it in again, it worked for another year or so. :)

demineralized water and/or isopropyl alcohol (its the kind you don't drink, Lucky) will clean out the sticky stuff. Let it dry overnight, and you should be good.

marcel, that middle one is pretty wild, except you'd have to type everyting one handed
I like the angled ergonomic keyboards and I also came across this bad boy with no keys requiring no finger action at all

Attachments

• ergonomic_keyboard_and_mouse.jpg
    ergonomic_keyboard_and_mouse.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 123241-2312p094-1b.jpg
    123241-2312p094-1b.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 84
wash it \in soapy water and let it dry , better yet if you gave a dishwasher it works great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back