Komets in the skies above Germany

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Ta 183 was designed by Multhopp not Tank. He and his right hand emigrated to GB after the war, not Argentine. Before he left Tanks team, everything that existed of the Ta 183 was tons of data and some models. Not even the final layout was fully agreed upon yet. No matter how much of a genius Tank was, he was at the time not nearly as firm in the field of high speed aircraft as the likes of Lippisch, Hornung or other people at Messerschmidt. As far as familiarity goes the Tunnan or MiG-15 can be considered just as much children of the Ta 183 as the Pulqui II: Not much besides the general layout and a probably varying amount of basic data was used.

That's interesting info riacrato, thank you.

Hi, gixxerman,

Should we take it as truth that a constructor from a country that invented used the 1st automatic rifle is good only to perfect a foreign design?

Hi tomo pauk.
Not at all, in fact that is one of the things I was getting at (my Kalashnikov comment wasn't entirely serious, sorry if that wasn't obvious).
I am not running down anyone's science, technology or research.
One of the things that is fairly obvious to anyone looking reasonably at the tech in WW2 is that everybody had people working in most fields and very often they were not that far apart although obviously priorities and production abilities varied substantially.

As for Komets flying at 500 mph having trouble to hit a bomber of 74 ft wingspan, flying at 200 mph (speed difference 300 mph), isn't that an easier target then a frontal attack vs. the same B-17 head on by a Fw-190 flying 300 mph (speed difference 500 mph) ? Is the truck traveling on road a easier target for a P-47 doing 250-300 mph?

I think the jet/rocket's targetting issues have been mentioned many times, obviously the tactics were evolving but 500mph+ is surely a leap in performance that would cause anyone in those circumstances problems, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back