Lancaster B Mk II "Fanny Ferkin II"- Airfix 1:72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hal bregg

Senior Airman
Oct 13, 2013
Poland
Hello!

A "Bomber". Hercules-powered lanc by Airfix "new tooling" kit.

Machine from 514 RAF sqn based in Royal Air Force Station Waterbeach, november 1944.

UPgq310.jpg

B3ch1Ka.jpg

FgbmHxP.jpg

D6b6Guc.jpg

fbZkcre.jpg

rx5i69C.jpg

eLFAuv9.jpg

hxk6TP0.jpg

C0zy6Aq.jpg

KERsLoX.jpg

oOfXCaX.jpg

qWvg8F9.jpg

rQ8KGSC.jpg

2pCupaZ.jpg

lsUEKgS.jpg

d3MaaYX.jpg

zxKj60Y.jpg

m4ZY94K.jpg

xLCdmvA.jpg

jXNSI5j.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for Your kind opinions. Modelling this kis was a real fun.

Really nicely put together painted very well, but some niggles for me...

Interior green under the canopy.
Interior green around the office.
Small square section on the canopy frame should be painted in, near astra dome.
Fuselage demarcation line is too low.
Decal on the first upper escape hatch actually belongs on the red square on the wing.
Life raft red square is also too low.
Glycol jets are too close together, fault of the kit.

Other that that its a lovely model and worthy of admiring.

Thanks for Your investigation, perhaps you are right, but:
but some niggles for me...
Interior green under the canopy.

Airfix instructions says: black. I never seen black there (except museum exhibits) . Do You?.

Interior green around the office.

Varied in different machines.

Fuselage demarcation line is too low.

fanny%20ferkin%20II_zpshf0rbhlf.jpg

All I know.
Matching a photo of real machine to a plastic model is always hard (Airfix model is overall good, but has some
incompatibilities).

Decal on the first upper escape hatch actually belongs on the red square on the wing.

That was a riddle for me too, but both Airfix, and Techmod schemes says: around the hatch.

Tech48802e_zpse2nklk4u.jpg

Never seen this stencil in "dinghy square", so I believed instructions.

Greetings.

It's not often I take any notice of kit instructions and to paint this or that this colour and that colour,
its a no no for me! Only Manchaster's had the office painted all green, so unless a Manchester was converted
into a Lancaster then this office would be interior green, matt black under the main canopy was only done on FE
Lancaster's and NX611 was originally a Far East Lanc' and this has never been repainted under the canopy.

In the original B/W photo you can see the glycol jets are wider on the nose! Airfix has got alot to answer for
because they copied from KB889, the glycol jets are set closer together because of the colder climate of Canada,
standard positioning of the jets wasn't good enough to keep the screen clear of ice, so was narrowed down so they
blasted at the screen, which worked, Look at all Canadian Lancaster's ? Every one has had the jets altered.

Have you ever seen this photo of FFII ? This would have been a guide to the height of the demarcation line.

DS842 - Fanny Firkin II Photo by Lancaster-Archive | Photobucket

Keep up the excellent work Hal, they're lovely mate :salute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back