'Langnasen Dora' Fw 190D-9's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I must actually say at this point, if I was going to have a Fw 190D built for me, it would in NO WAY be a 'perfect replica'...

Firstly, I'd get a D-11 or D-13 (less draggy design and nicer engine cowl contours), secondly, I'd have the a/c's CoG recalculated (the Fw 190D and Ta 152 were generally regarded to have had at times 'less than ideal' CoG conditions) and thirdly, I would in NO WAY tolerate 1944/45 standards of build in the airframe or engine! Less face it, no one has ever described the Fw 190D as having 'care-free handling', nor were the airframe or engines built to the highest standards! ;)

Dan

Well, been looking at the different D-9's from Eduard here, and if by going by Wk. Nr., I think that I'll go with the RLM 82/RLM 83 top camouflage, as my bird fit in around there, good or bad choice?

Come to think of it, our dear Oblt. Claus Faber and his 'Red 13', which was earlier thought to have the camo of RLM 75/83, is now to be believed to have had RLM82/83 instead and she's Wk. Nr. 210240....
So...
Or should I go with any other JG 300 Doras and NOT go with the Wk. Nr... :confused: ??

Just another few bits and bobs....

DSCF0011-75.jpg

DSCF0012-64.jpg

DSCF0013-59.jpg

DSCF0014-54.jpg

DSCF0015-47.jpg

DSCF0016-40.jpg

Been masking a wee bit on the Dora, for the RLM 76 and then figure what else to use for top camo, RLM 82/83 or RLM ?/83 ?

Looking good old boy. A wee bit of sanding or filler on that joint forward of the gun sight could improve things old fruit.

WNr. 210003 was thought to have been re-painted mid-way through its life, so its final camo of RLM82/83 is probably not representative of what it came out of the factory with! And as for you Gear doors and strust, depending on the time frame, the inner surfaces of the doors maybe RLM02 (which you seem to have painted them) or bare metal (possibly even with alloy codes visible). Struts have three options, RLM02, Bare Metal and a 'neutral grey' thats about FS 36320 - the former and later are all but impossible to pick in a black and white photo tho!

As for colours, I beleive most of those 2109xx a/c would have been RLM82/83, based on what has been recorded; its not entirely unlikely however that the tail fin was mottled with RLM81 as well... The question is however, what pattern in the wing lower surface (probably W2a or W2) and what variant of RLM76 (probably the early, blue type)

Well, as I've already painted the lower wings, I'm more than happy to paint the upper camo anyway to suit this... Would this be RLM 76 and 75/83 then, or?

If WNr. 210913, I'd go RLM76 Lowers, with RLM82/83 upper, with some mottles of RLM81 on the Fin... As for the lower surfaces, its hard to call if these a/c had bare-metal or not - the 2109xx a/c are pretty rare and seem to be a 'transitory stage' of D-9 Production. ie: they still had the 5-piece gun cowling in most cases, but some seem to be showing up with the blown canopy in place of the flat canopy; same goes for the MW50 system. Still, canopies were being refitted all over the place (ie, there are pictures of Ta 152H's and D-11's with the early flat canopy), so its hard to tell what was original equipment or not... Hell, there are cases of wing sets being swapped (even at least one case of a wing set from or designated for a late A-series a/c, ending up on a D-9!)...

But the skinny is , RLM76 lower, Natural Metal at your discretion, RLM82/83 upper with RLM81 fin mottles...

If WNr. 210913, I'd go RLM76 Lowers, with RLM82/83 upper, with some mottles of RLM81 on the Fin... As for the lower surfaces, its hard to call if these a/c had bare-metal or not - the 2109xx a/c are pretty rare and seem to be a 'transitory stage' of D-9 Production. ie: they still had the 5-piece gun cowling in most cases, but some seem to be showing up with the blown canopy in place of the flat canopy; same goes for the MW50 system. Still, canopies were being refitted all over the place (ie, there are pictures of Ta 152H's and D-11's with the early flat canopy), so its hard to tell what was original equipment or not... Hell, there are cases of wing sets being swapped (even at least one case of a wing set from or designated for a late A-series a/c, ending up on a D-9!)...

But the skinny is , RLM76 lower, Natural Metal at your discretion, RLM82/83 upper with RLM81 fin mottles...

So, the short and skinny of it, if I want to do Clemens Schmoll's 'Red 13' (WNr. 210913), I'll have to repaint the lower wings, change the RLM 83 to RLM 76? Much obliged old boy! Get on it after some fresh air and shop visit...

Nice work Jan, and did I understand right that you've been playing with Bob's bits again?? :)

What?? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back