'Lanny' Lanowski's personal insignia

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For all those that are interested in pilots personal insignia nose art. my fathers insignia was very significant and personal to him and the poles as a nation. It expressed what his opinion of the Germans was. it represents the Polish chequerboard with a messerschmitt being crushed by the gauntlet of a Polish medieval knight. This represents the total annihilation of the Teutonic order in 1410 at the battle of Grunwald (the germans called it Tanneberg, and never forgave poland for the loss of thier esteemed religious murdering order!)
Poland expelled the Teutonic order following the battle from the northern area of Poland most commonly known as Prussia. He was informed by Zemke that `you do realise Lanny that they will not hesitate to shoot you for that' to which my father replied `let the Niemcy try'.
They never succeeded...!!

*note* the image on a Thunderbolt moidel is the one made by Nigel Julian which is currently part of my fathers display at Halesworth air museum. and great it looks...thanks again Nigel..!

Attachments

• IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    369.5 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0632.JPG
    IMG_0632.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 254
I never knew the history behind his emblem,apart from the obvious crushing of a German aircraft.
You live and learn!
Thanks.

Your dad's aircraft is a popular subject (for what is not the most interesting camouflage scheme!). He is certainly not forgotten.
A few years ago and as a mainly Luftwaffe modeller I even had a go at it,with plenty of advice from Nigel (Julian) :)

lanowski_2_web.gif

lanowski_1_web.gif

More recently I also had a bash at Gabreski's last P-47.

crop1.gif

Both the Thunderbolt and the Poles are well represented!

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for showing this Krys. I'd seen the nose art before of course, but, until now, I didn't know the full story behind it.

Do you know that in 1985 I made from scratch a 1:24 model of another P-47 flown by a Polish pilot from the same unit (56th FG)?

It was P-47M "Pengie V", flown by Capt. Boleslaw Gladych (1945). As far I know, they flew together some missions in the first half of 1944.

p-47-1.jpg

More information about this model you can find at the first part of this article. I still have it in my room :).

Nice one Stona, excellet models
Witold, Gladych and my father flew together on many missions up to abd including 1944 1945. they were great friends from the Polish squadrons that they flew in.
During their time together in the 56th FG they formed what became known as `the Polish wing' with both Zemke Gabreski competing to fly in this wing with them, sometimes together. both Zemke gabreski regularly asked `Lanny' to fly as their wingman which often meant that my father had to hand over his wing to someone else. He always was upset that he was not on Gabby's wing when he was lost in combat (to become a POW) and often said he would have stopped Gabby in his tracks that day. He would only fly on Gabby's wing if he did exactly as my father told him which Gabby replied `anything you say Lanny'

Attachments

• IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    753.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Lanny  Gladych.JPG
    Lanny Gladych.JPG
    480.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Your picture of the nose art has the German plane going up to the left and Stona's plane has it going down to the left. I'm assuming up to the left is correct.

Your picture of the nose art has the German plane going up to the left and Stona's plane has it going down to the left. I'm assuming up to the left is correct.

Yes. Mine is wrong.
I don't remember if the instructions were wrong or if I just f**ked it up. Probably the latter :)
Steve

Yes guys, pointing upwards is correct,
no worries on the nose art Stona, simples mistake!! an artist painted a pic of my fathers jug with the emblem on the wrong side of the nose..!!
Nice pic Wurger, I have that in my fathers photo Album, I would love to get in contact with his ground crew if they are still with us, that would make my day..!

Sorry if I sounded critical, I was just trying to clarify. It's a beautiful model Steve. Something to be proud of.

Looking very good. But the letter "Z" is of incorrect shape I'm afraid. It seems that it was a little bit oversprayed at the top-left corner only.

preview_republic-p-47-thunderbolt_src_1.jpg

4241642093_7ff297d6e0_z.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back