Late Focke-Wulf Fw190D-9

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

weinace

Airman 1st Class
Jan 4, 2009
Yorkshire UK
With Eduard's announcement that they are going to release a late WWII (Ta152 tail) Fw190D-9 I thought I'd post this image.

It's called Desperate Days and is by an artist called Hector Gareth - I think it shows the 'tension' of air combat very well. It also shows what an excellent artist Hector is!!

Regards,

Weinace
:)

Attachments

• Desperate Days.jpg
    Desperate Days.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 405
Thanks for reply.

He is a digital artist - though his work is so excellent I thought it was oils or acrylics!

Regards,

Weinace:)

I would expect them to drop the tanks. There are many U.S. pilots' encounter reports in which they engage fighters with drop tanks attached with predictable results. This is either because the attacked aircraft was surprised or maybe an inexperienced pilot under the stress of an attack simply forgot to release it.
According to POW debriefs in 8th airforce documents drop tanks were to be jettisoned before engaging in combat and were only carried on the first sortie of the day anyway.

interception-1.gif

Here's an encounter report from Fred Christensen,it won't get better than that,which speaks for itself.

Christensonbellytank.gif

Interesting bit of colour info at the bottom of his report too. Maybe one in 74/75 and the other 82/83?
It does get better though. Here's a similar report by none other Francis Gabreski.

Gabreskibellytanks.gif

Steve

Edit. I'll just add that when allied pilots saw Luftwaffe aircraft with tanks still attached it seems to have been noteworthy enough for them to mention it in their reports.
That's still some great art work though.

Last edited:
I don't think it distracts from the artwork, although I do wish sometimes the artist would do a bit more research.

I recently saw some prints of a pencil sketch done by an artist of one of Hartmann's Bf 109's.

Complete with bomb slung underneath.

I think Maximovitz is correct - it doesn't detract from the image and, possibly, the artist had in mind that the pilot was about to jettison the drop tank!!!

Thanks to Stonia for the really interesting 'historical background' papers.

Regards,

weinace:)

I agree,it is an excellent piece of art work.
I was actually looking for more descriptions of camouflage,very rare in encounter reports and often mis-leading,when I found this. It shows exactly why combat with a drop tank was such a bad idea!

belly3.gif

Cheers
Steve

Nice piece
The trouble is once you spot a mistake in a picture it sticks out like a sore thumb and every time you look at it your eye is drawn to it.
Is it just me or are the ailerons reversed for the attitude of the A/C ?

Not if he's half way through an aileron roll :razz:
He'll just keep rolling.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back