Looking for info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am looking for information on German Air Operations and active JAG's in the Northern Italy and Balkiin areas from Jan/44 to May/44

I am trying to ID the JAG of two 109's shot down by my father (who in turn shot him down) in Feb. of 44

Thanks

ok, from what I have:

from "Bf 109 Aces of NA and the Med." by Jerry Scuts;

as of March 4, 1944
Fliegerfuhrer Aftika
III./JG 53
II./JG 77

Jagdfliegerfuhrer Oberitalien
Stab JG 53
I./JG 53
Stab JG 77
I./JG 77

Jagdfliegerfuhrer Mitte
I./JG 4

Lw. Kdo. Sudost
7./JG 27

from "The Last Year of the Luftwaffe" by Dr. Alfred Price

aircraft units 31 May 1944
Luftflotte 2
I./JG 4
III./JG 53
Stab JG 77
I./JG 77
II,.JG 77

Lw. Kdo. Sudost
II./JG 51
II./JG 301
11./ZG26

thats all I've found so far.You might want to try The Luftwaffe, 1933-45 where they list all the units and where they were thorughout the war. Time consuming but satisfing!

I am looking for information on German Air Operations and active JAG's in the Northern Italy and Balkiin areas from Jan/44 to May/44

I am trying to ID the JAG of two 109's shot down by my father (who in turn shot him down) in Feb. of 44

Thanks

Hi,
according to the book "Air War Italy 1944-1945" (see picture)
AirWarItaly-vi.jpg

in the period of your interest the following units flying BF 109 were based in Italy and/or in the Balcans
- NAGr.12 in charge for reconnaissance coverage of the of Taranto, Brindisi and Bari
- NAGr. 11 based north of Rome. Besides being a reconnaissance unit as well, they also operated as fighters.
- II./JG 51 came to Italy in December 1943 and left for Serbia the following March
- I./JG 53 was in Italy and left for the Balkans in May 1944
With Stab JG 53 in the process of leaving, the Luftwaffe fighters remaining in Italy by June 1944 were:
- I./JG 4
- III./JG 53 and
- Stab I. and Stab II./JG 77. All were equipped with Bf 109 G-6
Just in May four Bf 109 were destroyed, seven damaged over 60% and two over 30%.
There was also the ANR (Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana), the airforce of the republic created in Northern Italy by Mussolini after Italy declared Armistice on 8 September 1943.
The "Primo Gruppo" of ANR was based in Venaria Reale (Turin) Lagnasco (Cuneo), and Campoformido (Udine). During these months the unit was equipped with Macchi C 205 fighters, often confused by allied pilots with Bf 109.

The "Secondo Gruppo" was formed in Bresso (Milan) in March 1944 and moved to Cascina Vaga (Pavia) in May. Originally equipped with Fiat G 55, they soon passed them to Primo Gruppo to re-equip with Bf 109

The book also report some name of people involved in fighting but the surname McClure isn't listed.
Hope the above will be of some help for you, but if you could tell where aprox the fight took place and the aeroplane your father was flying, I can investigate through Italian forums.
Cheers
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back