Man arrested for posing as Navy Officer

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A while back I had a heated exchange with a reporter in CA. She had written an article about "Forgotten Heroes" and used a guy as an example.

He told her in VN he had been in "Special Services"(he really did say Services - not Forces) and his MOS was "tunnel Rat", He went on to claim that his entire Co had been wiped out and that was why he had received no recognition for his accomplishments. The reporter took him at face value and did not research the article in any way - never even ask him what unit he was in or when!

The media, all aspects of it, are responsible for so much and answer for so little.

Reporters these days are pussies. No nicer way to say it. They go to a press briefing, write down everything that was said and report it. No one asks any questions nor researches the briefing even. They are nothing more than mouthpieces anymore. It's really ridiculous. What ever happened to investigative journalism? What ever happened to at least fact checking?

Agree completely Eric. I suppose they blame timeframes, but that's no excuse. Nor is souping up a story to make a paper sell better.
Papers (and media generally) should be classified under 'fiction and panic monging' these days IMO (and from personal experience)

Hey, all ewe guys...that "people are sheep" analogy is gettin old, and is in ba-a-a-a-ad taste.

Yep, people are like sheep. Doubt there'll be any brains amongst us in 50 years, the rate we're going.

I tend to agree with you. I have long gone on what a Warrant Officer told me many years ago: "At least 60% of all people are stupid, and 90% of the rest are apathetic." Have you seen the movie Idiotocracy?

That's a good saying Mike, though I wouldn't say it's that so many are stupid, rather that most events seem beyond our control, so many simply choose apathy over worrying themselves sick when (or when they think that) their hands are tied.
Understandable to a degree (a form of mental isolation/ 'self protection') but therein lies the danger - when the majority chooses not to react and just lets things slide, then the dog is off the leash. The people in power can get away with murder, and you have a runaway press system...

(haven't seen that film btw)

That is not true. Look... I'm NOT supporting this asshat, but you can dress up all day long as a cop and jaw people. What you can't do is dress up as a cop and direct them to do something, pull them over or change their behavior based upon perceived authority. If a dickhead wants some p*ssy by dressing up like Tom Cruise, he is a dickhead only. He has not broached the constitution and the "lady" in question gets everything she deserves for opening her legs.

May the FlyboyJ's of this world keep these dickheads in check.

Simple as that folks. I don't like it, but this is not a fed govt issue, UNLESS a crime is committed.

Unfortunately, the only crime here would be by FlyboyJ, if some anti-military county prosecutor charges him with assault or issuing threats. :confused:
And I'm not dissin' FBJ, but those are the facts that one has to contemplate - ie what could this cost to your family.

Matt, I probably couldn't figure out the detailed uniform errors that FBJ could, so there is no way in hell that some tipsy girl barely out of her teens is going to. (Maybe if her father was an officer - maybe)

Now would obtaining sex by mis-representing a CMH or other award be a crime?
If one of the ladies complained could he be charged?

I wonder what the law is in the UK, is misrepresenting a VC a crime?

Unfortunately, the only crime here would be by FlyboyJ, if some anti-military county prosecutor charges him with assault or issuing threats. :confused:
And I'm not dissin' FBJ, but those are the facts that one has to contemplate - ie what could this cost to your family.

Matt, I probably couldn't figure out the detailed uniform errors that FBJ could, so there is no way in hell that some tipsy girl barely out of her teens is going to. (Maybe if her father was an officer - maybe)

Very true and it could be the same here - that's why some of the patrons restrained me, however if LE was called due to fisticuffs, I'm sure there would plenty of witnesses there that night who either saw nothing or would would say "the guy in the ice cream uniform slipped." ;)

Now would obtaining sex by mis-representing a CMH or other award be a crime?
If one of the ladies complained could he be charged?

I wonder what the law is in the UK, is misrepresenting a VC a crime?

Here, if you use false military records for gain then I think you can be charged with a crime and many con-artists have used that MO. If the sex was consentual and both parties were adults, I see nothing illegal there, if the gal was a minor, different story.

As far as the VC - I'd like to know that as well!

Reporters these days are pussies. No nicer way to say it. They go to a press briefing, write down everything that was said and report it. No one asks any questions nor researches the briefing even. They are nothing more than mouthpieces anymore. It's really ridiculous. What ever happened to investigative journalism? What ever happened to at least fact checking?

I can think of two excuses that they'd use, which seems to be quite popular today:

1. It's not my job...
2. I'm not getting paid for that...

oh and:

3. They can also dig something up, that's not politically correct!

Last edited:
Very true and it could be the same here - that's why some of the patrons restrained me, however if LE was called due to fisticuffs, I'm sure there would plenty of witnesses there that night who either saw nothing or would would say "the guy in the ice cream uniform slipped." ;)

Here, if you use false military records for gain then I think you can be charged with a crime and many con-artists have used that MO. If the sex was consentual and both parties were adults, I see nothing illegal there, if the gal was a minor, different story.

As far as the VC - I'd like to know that as well!

This reminds me of the SEAL sniper, Chris Kyle, who claims to have decked Jesse Ventura in a Coronado bar.
Spout enough BS and sooner or later someone will call you on it.

Chris Kyle is a story in his own right. He is credited with killing a whole lot of "bad guys".
Ventura initially said the incident never happened and said he would sue - but other SEALs in the bar backed up Kyle and I haven't heard anything from Jesse in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back