Manatee Dive!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
Some of you have seen this on my Facebook but for those that havent, I gotta share.

Scratch one item off my "Bucket List".

I've been wanting to dive with these beasts for over three decades and it lived up to nearly all of my expectations. The water was clear and warm despite the 6:15am departure. The depth was usually 5 feet and only snorkel gear was allowed.. no scuba.

Wow, the manatees weren't just "friendly", they were co-dependent, needy, attention whores. Unlike most animals, they didnt need to be enticed with food or tricked into human interaction; all it took was patience and the willingness to give a 2000 pound sea cow a belly scratch.

It's difficult to overstate their desire to be social with humans - amazing.

Attachments

• man3.jpg
    man3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 118
  • man5.jpg
    man5.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 141
  • man6.jpg
    man6.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 116
  • man7.jpg
    man7.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 120
  • man8.jpg
    man8.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 124
  • tigereyes.jpg
    tigereyes.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 117
  • man12.jpg
    man12.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 119
  • man10.jpg
    man10.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 116
  • man9.jpg
    man9.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 121

Attachments

• man77.jpg
    man77.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 126
  • sun.jpg
    sun.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 135
  • man44.jpg
    man44.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 113
  • werrrrrro.jpg
    werrrrrro.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 117
  • wwwwwwwo.jpg
    wwwwwwwo.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 133
  • man1.jpg
    man1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Thanks guys! They say that manatees could be the basis for mermaid legends. How much rum would it take to imagine one of those sea cows was a mermaid?

Very cool, and it sounds like the experience is something you'll never forget

I'm a diver and swimming with the manatees is something I've wanted to do for a long time also. Your account and pics makes me want to even more. And beautiful pics they are, too.

JL

Last edited:
Very cool, C! You said they were friendly...What about the cow w/ a little one?

Thanks again guys 3 different cameras were used on 2 different trips.

The guidelines for interacting with the manatees are very strict. You're not allowed to swim above or pursue them . They have to initiate contact. On this last trip, i saw a baby nursing.

The mother didnt seem agitated or protective at all. They seemed to know that they were safe. Its amazing how fast they can swim when they want too!

So I take it they are like dogs. If you scratch them on the belly you have a friend for life.:) Fantastic shots Comiso. I'm not a diver but you've got me wanting to try it.:thumbright: :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back