Matchbox 1/72 B-17G "The Black Bitch" Assembly Ship

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Time to make a mask for that big "J" for the tail of the "Black Bitch"

Using some plain old blue painters tape found at your local hardware (Home Depot) store I made the measurments

HxqnIOE.jpg

Once I had it where I thought it should go, I used a sharp exacto blade and cut out the "J"

gWAGHxt.jpg

With the mask in place I mixed up some Americana (Uniform Blue) and FolkArt (Look at Me Blue) craft acrylic paints till I got the color I wanted and applied several light coats using my airbrush. I did one-side, flipped the mask and did the other.

TdwZBEz.jpg

pe2uVI4.jpg

Thanks for looking

Time for some engine work. Here is where I need to be careful. With the ship being black I don't want everything else to get lost so... I need to choose my colors right in order to add depth to the project. I started by painting the engines a dark Charcoal. Then I dry brushed the cylinders with steel for highlights. Thee reduction gearbox was painted with a mix of Uniform Blue and Dolphin. Both are craft acrylics. Next I added a wash to blend it all

QsHTzhb.jpg

K2zPR1l.jpg

I recently saw a picture of the B-17G Nine-0-Nine just before her recent demise. In a close up of the engines I noticed a red hose that came off the 12 o'clock cylinder. While I'm sure there were not red hoses back in 1944/45 I felt that the red would add points of interest to the viewers eye and of course it breaks up all the dark colors. This next step is where the rivet counters may blow a vessel. I got this spool of wire from my local Hobby Lobby. I use it for all sorts of things such as spark plug wires on car builds and such.

Rm2F2d6.jpg

XOPdWtZ.jpg

First bit of color for the turbos and exhausts. I used craft acrylic steel. I'll let it dry and add some rust and other weathering.

HrRyXZ4.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look at my work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back