Me 109, Spitfire, Zero or Mustang

Which plane would you fly in a dogfight?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hehe, even at that price, it still needs ALOT of work. If I had the time and the money, I would invest in it. It could be made flyable, but it's going to take a lot of TLC to get there. I hope whoever does buy it will make it flyable again.

Glider said:
DerAlder. We've had this before but because one man may be wrong about something or you disagree about what he says doesn't make him a liar.
Personally I would agree that the Zero wasn't the best fighter in 1942/3. But if you look at what it was up against in its theater of operations then its a fair opinion. People will argue that the Wildcat performed better which is also a valid opinion.
Test pilots are not fools or they wouldn't last long, neither do they suffer fools gladly. Tiger is right when he says that Eric Brown is widely respected in that community, and I for one wouldn't disagree with the views of his peers.

Yes but when eneogh pilots who actually flew an aircraft and fought against an aircraft can dispute what he says that tells me hes full of it.

Tra la la!

easy to call a man a liar when you don't agree with him!

Brown was an EXCEPTIONAL pilot!!! More types flown than ANY OTHER pilot! More DECK LANDINGS than any other pilot!

He was the test pilot's test pilot!

For 'Arm Chair' pilots to criticise a man of his stature is utterly ludicrous!

The fact is that the IJN pilots LOVED the Zero and prefered fighting with it right up to the end of WWII! Offered replacements like the Shiden (4x20mm...armour...manouverability...self sealing tanks...POWER!), they let their preference for the Zero be known in no uncertain terms!

The IJN's shortage of aircraft and pilots (and flawed Top Brass thinking) was the deciding factor in the Pacific Air War...the jig was up after Midway!

Jiro Horikoshi's design was BRILLIANT and as original as any other fighter of its day.

Incidentally, I have done a little flying myself and if I was asked what airplane I would have liked to have flown in WWII...Tempest V or P38

C'mon boys...

TigerSnake said:
Tra la la!

easy to call a man a liar when you don't agree with him!

Brown was an EXCEPTIONAL pilot!!! More types flown than ANY OTHER pilot! More DECK LANDINGS than any other pilot!

He was the test pilot's test pilot!

The fact is that the IJN pilots LOVED the Zero and prefered fighting with it right up to the end of WWII! Offered replacements like the Shiden (4x20mm...armour...manouverability...self sealing tanks...POWER!), they let their preference for the Zero be known in no uncertain terms!

The IJN's shortage of aircraft and pilots (and flawed Top Brass thinking) was the deciding factor in the Pacific Air War...the jig was up after Midway!

Jiro Horikoshi's design was BRILLIANT and as original as any other fighter of its day.

Incidentally, I have done a little flying myself and if I was asked what airplane I would have liked to have flown in WWII...Tempest V or P38

C'mon boys...

There is no denying Brown's Career and capabilities but at the same time he as also known as an exaggerator, to put it mildly. After a single flight test evaluation, he has attempted to dispute the reports of pilots who had hundreds of hours in the same aircraft...

Sure, many IJN pilots loved the Zero till the very end, those who survived and never took their fight above 300 mph....The Zero was brilliant, but over rated. Statistics as early as 1942 proved that.

I fly too - on occasion.....

Now the discussion IS getting ridiculous...

Brown has the USN...RAF...RN...RAE...Grumman and a whole host of other 'Aviation Amateurs' behind him and his test findings!

I was hoping for some learned and well thought out banter on the subject...I rest my case.

Thank you one and all!

My Grandfather was a Black Sheep, and did some test flight work after the War.... If my Gradfather thought Brown was a moron and someone he could never trust, thats good enough for me...

And Joe is correct, what Brown did on several instances was call distinguished fighter pilots liars, discounting the veterans opinions and stating that HIS opinion was the only one that mattered...

The guy was in love with himself and the glory he courted...
I was hoping for some learned and well thought out banter on the subject...I rest my case.
If that was some sort of wiseass comment, u came to the wrong website pal...
Brown has the USN...RAF...RN...RAE...Grumman and a whole host of other 'Aviation Amateurs' behind him and his test findings!
Bullshit.... There was a certain Brig General who damn near ripped his head off for some of the things he said concerning pilot quality and dedication... U dont disrespect the dead to a man who lead those dead heros...

Piss on Brown....

TigerSnake said:

My suggestiont o you would be to hang around here and learn what people do before you accuse people of things such as being 'Arm Chair" pilots. FBJ happens to be a very experience pilot and maintenance technician. I happen to have a privat pilots liscence (rarely get to fly though) and also happen to be a Blackhawk crewchief with almost 1500 hours of flight time and fly every day in that including about 3 Maintenance Test Flights a weeks. We happen to know a thing to two about flying. I wouldn't call that armchair pilots or crews.

So tell us Tigersnake, your profile shows you were in the RAN - what did you do there that makes you such an authority that you can attempt to call some of us "armchair experts."

I'm a little curious too. Very little.

TigerSnake, why don't you just quit acting like a complete and utter shithead and try being a bit civil on these boards. I don't give a rat's fuck what or who you may be in reality, but you've made all of five posts and already you've got Les on your case. That ain't a good thing, by the way.

You disagree with the "armchair experts" on this forum? Fine. That's all well and good. You some kind of uber-guru or something? Then lay off the attitude and fall in with the rest of us laymen. Enough with the bullshit sarcasm. It's annoying as hell.

damn it i should've pretended to him i'm Squadron Leader Stuart Reid of the BBMF, too late to go back and change my lasts posts? he'll never know he obviously aint read up on any of us, might be a fun little game to tell him i fly all the BBMF types :toothy5:

Wow, almost timid to put my sense into the discussion about the zero and the shiden. For starters, even if everyone wanted tbe shiden, they couldnt have got them, because not that many were produced. Second it hand engine troubles, making it unreliable, and making long over water flights, or combat a difficult affair indeed. When the shiden was available, good pilots to fly the more demanding aircraft were in short supply, as were trainer aircraft and aviation fuel. The zero was a pilots airplane and because of its easy handling and relatively great low speed qualities, it was easy to fly even for a beginner. Hope that made you realize your not as smart as you would seem.

thats part of what was said above

I'm going to double post this...

DerAdlerIstGelandet wrote:
Tigershark I take personal offense to your armchair pilot coment and I am pretty sure that FBJ does also. I suggest you tone it down a bit, or move on to someplace else.

Yep - I'm anxious to hear about his RAN association....

To put this in perspective:

I lived close to Edwards AFB, and even worked there for a spell. I've met many test pilots, some were real good guys, some were assh*les. I got to meet Chuck Yeager on several occasions, none of us could wear the guy's jockstrap, but his arrogance and disregard for those around him ruins the perception that many would expect of one like him. I seen him embarrass the Edwards Aero Club safety officer (who was a Major, former F-16 line pilot and a current test pilot) over a minor disagreement. It's one thing to disagree with someone, it's another to unilaterally browbeat someone with your experience, especial when there was no cause to be brash or arrogant.....

Well said FBJ. I know the test pilots in my unit they are quite arrogant also. They are breed of there own. Both are great guys though however. I would go to war with them and back again anyday. Wait a minute I did that already!

I too am anxious to hear what this tigershark guy has to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back