Me-323 is a bomber?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Medvedya said:
Originally designed for 'Sealion' apparantly.
another gilder designed , in conjuction with the me 321 was the ju 322, but this one was only a real pain in the behind, only one was tested and almost ended in tragedy, after that it was cancelled
ju322.jpg

yeap, really ugly and useless

Well being at the front would have a huge effect on the aerodynamics, and also create a massive amount of drag. Also the way the Me-323 doors open are not ideal for this sort of thing.

I really find this hard to believe. Maybe it is one of those WW2 myths that crop up from time to time, like the stories about the Germans producing flying UFO type aircraft. I know there are some authentic plans for some, but there is no record of any successful tests. Can you imagine it? One day in the Kansas, America, "Frank get your gun, it's a UFO dropping troops wearing German Uniforms." Chuckle, Chuckle. Seriously though, the C-130 Hercules has never really done anything like this. A gunship is quite different from this, as a gunship is designed to be able to go along pounding at targets with cannons, and mortar fire.

And where would the Luftwaffe get a 17 ton bomb when they didn't have any other aircraft even remotely capable of carrying it?

That is pretty much what throws it out is the 17 ton bomb. I seriously doubt that it was possible however it is probably something that will never be confirmed.

And yes the C-130 has done it on a number of occasions but it is different for the C-130 in the fact that the C-130 has a rear ramp to drop it out of.

Agreed, and the C-130 is also a post war airplane. Unless you count a Mistel, they didn't have any bombs that big in WWII. The heaviest the US made was during the Aphrodite Project. They packed 20,000 lbs of HE into a war weary B-17 and flew it by remote control. It did not work very well and a number of accidents cancelled the project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back