Me-323 is a bomber?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes I had heard about that one with the B-17.

As for the Mistel I dont really think that can count because it is not a true bomb.

Wasn't one of the Kennedys killed in an RB-17 (I think that was the designation, but I could be wrong)? As for bombs, the biggest one of all in WW2 was the Grand Slam at 22,000 pounds, designed by Barnes Wallis and dropped from a modified Lancaster. It was used on places like the Ems canal and Beilefelde viaduct; it was said to have disarranged them somewhat.
The largest German bomb (again from imperfect memory) was 2,000kg.

Joe Kennedy was killed in one of the B-24s they used for the Aphrodite project. For some reason, the word spread it was a B-17 and has persisted for years. I actually spoke to a photographer from that time at the museum a few years ago that had taken pictures of one of the Aphrodite airplanes that crashed near Oxford. The crater was huge and miraculously, no one was hurt.

evangilder said:
Joe Kennedy was killed in one of the B-24s they used for the Aphrodite project. For some reason, the word spread it was a B-17 and has persisted for years. I actually spoke to a photographer from that time at the museum a few years ago that had taken pictures of one of the Aphrodite airplanes that crashed near Oxford. The crater was huge and miraculously, no one was hurt.

I think the rumor existed about Kennedy flying a B-17 because there were many at the base where Kennedy operated out of. A good friend of the family was stationed there and met Joe Kennedy, he said he was a real jerk, but that's another story....

I stand corrected about Joe Kennedy; it's nice to get the facts straight when you've laboured under a misapprehension. Thanks.

poprune said:

The largest was 2500kg but still small compared to the largest bombs of other countries.

German Bomb Types

SC = SPRENGBOMBE CYLINDRICH (thin cased general purpose).
PC = PANZERBOMBE CYLINDRICH (armour piercing).
SD = SPRENGBOMBE DICKWANDIG (thick cased semi-armour piercing).
LC = LICHT CYLINDRISCHE (LC 50 parachute flare).

SC = SPRENGBOMBE CYLINDRICH - designed for maximum blast effect having a high charge-to-weight ratio of 55 per cent explosive SC bombs were used primarily for general demolition. Approximately 8 out of 10 of German high explosive bombs dropped on the U.K. were of the SC type. Sizes included 50 kg, 250 kg, 500 kg, 1000 kg "Hermann", and the 1800 kg "Satan". There was even a 2500 kg type although rarely used.

PC = PANZERBOMBE CYLINDRICH - Having a charge-to-weight ratio of 20% explosive, because of their penetration qualities they were used primarily against ships and fortifications. The 1400 kg "Fritz" is a good example of this type.

SD = SPRENGBOMBE DICKWANDIG - Medium cased steel weapons and, being either anti-personnel or semi-armour piercing, had a charge-to-weight ratio of 35 per cent explosive; 50, 250, 500 and 1700 kg versions.

LC = LICHT CYLINDRISCHE - About the same size as a conventional SC 50 bomb, hence its designation "50". Used for target illumination and marking at night.

Land Mines.
The 1000 kg Luft Mine B was normally employed, and as such was designated Bomben B when used against land targets. During 1941 a new weapon, the BM 1000 "Monika", made its appearance. This consisted of the sea mine LMB, but fitted with a bomb tail unit, designed to be dropped like a conventional bomb without a parachute.
http://www.ww2guide.com/bombs.shtml

and how the hell would it be carried?? they couldn't just sling it underneath, they couldn't put it under a wing...........
Here was a possibility that was considered for being able to deliver that size load. A Mistel version of the Me 323 Gigant.

Attachments

• 2_13.jpg
    2_13.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 117
A super bomber Me323 actually makes more sense than the idiotic Mistel bomber "thingy", probably could even fill it with fuel to fly USA-> Germany return.

I can't get over the fact they spent years developing the Mistel
Some 250 Mistels of various combinations were built during the war, but they met with limited success.
limited success is procurement officer speak for total failure :D

Wasn't one of the Kennedys killed in an RB-17 (I think that was the designation, but I could be wrong)? As for bombs, the biggest one of all in WW2 was the Grand Slam at 22,000 pounds, designed by Barnes Wallis and dropped from a modified Lancaster. It was used on places like the Ems canal and Beilefelde viaduct; it was said to have disarranged them somewhat.

Lt Joseph Kennedy, Jr. USNR. It was a converted B-24. Kennedy had 25 missions, then volunteered for Project Aphrodite. Not only were there B-17s at the same base, but one may have been involved with the mission.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back