Meanwhile .. in Red Square (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russia has unveiled a new-generation battle tank called Armata T-14 ahead of World War Two Victory Day celebrations on 9 May.

."..before it will be sent to the Ukraine, where it will be used in a full scale re-anactment of WW2's greatest tank battles using live ammunition..." :)

Time looks frozen there.

It sure does, Shinpachi; visiting Russia is like stepping into a time warp. It is very insular there; what's worse is that most Russians are aware that it's like that.

Meanwhile, in Crimea, billboards picturing Uncle Joe are popping up celebrating his awesome legacy of beating the Nazis and industrializing Russia.

That would be like Hitler popping up on billboards in Germany celebrating his legacy of bringing Germany out of post-WWI ruin and building nifty autobahns all over Europe.

How soon they forget...

Stalin Billboards Go up in Crimea Ahead of Victory Day - ABC News

If only that were the case here, for the Russians/Putin does remember the past and thinks the world of it and wants to repeat it, horrors and all, regardless of the consequences.

"Two beleaguered looking Russians are standing in a cue outside a butcher shop in Moscow. One says to the other, How are you doing?, the other says, I'm fantastic. The first one says, did you read the Pravda today?, the second one says, Of course, how else would I know that I was doing fantastic?!"

Without a wish to elaborate entire diplomatic prelude to WW2, I would say that, although questionable on the grounds of morality, the pact was undoubtedly a Soviet diplomatic success. It delayed the inevitable conflict with Nazi Germany, but also offered a chance to reclaim some territories lost after the WW1 and to create additional "buffer" zone in the west. In that sense I more-less agree with what is written in the text.

Anyone notice the red star national insignia on the tanks?

If you refer to the insignia seen on this Armata tank for example (picture 1 in the attachment), it's the stylized red star superimposed on the "Georgiyevski" ribbon (The Ribbon of Saint George), which is the symbol of victory. The same insignia was applied to all vehicles participating in the parade. On Victory Day the ribbon is also widely worn by soldiers and civilians alike.

On the side note, the red star is not a Russian national insignia for some time now. It was changed by adding a blue outline as a reference to the Russian national colors (white-blue-red). See the picture 2 in the attachment.

Meanwhile, in Crimea, billboards picturing Uncle Joe are popping up celebrating his awesome legacy of beating the Nazis and industrializing Russia.

That would be like Hitler popping up on billboards in Germany celebrating his legacy of bringing Germany out of post-WWI ruin and building nifty autobahns all over Europe.

How soon they forget...

As a regard to this and few similar posts from previous page I would say that, you are comparing apples and oranges here. You can think about Stalin and his life and work whatever you like, but to my opinion if anyone else had been in charge the Soviet Union would have collapsed in 1941 and the history would have taken completely different turn. Believe me the Russians remember their past very well.

Here's something regarding the Russian mentality, the impact WW2 had on them as a nation and the place it holds in their collective memory - Immortal Regiment rally in Russia (picture 3). Haven't notice this was much publicized in media. See the link below...

TASS: Russia - Immortal Regiment rally in Russia

Attachments

• t14-armata-red-square-600.jpg
    t14-armata-red-square-600.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 212
  • 143473_70078482_137634.jpg
    143473_70078482_137634.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 1092960.jpg
    1092960.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
".....I would say that, although questionable on the grounds of morality, the pact was undoubtedly a Soviet diplomatic success. It delayed the inevitable conflict with Nazi Germany, but also offered a chance to reclaim some territories lost after the WW1 and to create additional "buffer" zone in the west. "

Morality or opportunity, Imalko?

Prior to M-R, Stalin had proposed his "solution" for the Hitler menace to the leadership of Britain and France ... namely that they endorse the USSR taking up forward positions in Poland to check the Nazis. There was no agreement or appetite for this so Stalin opted for half-a-loaf is better than no loaf ... sadly for Poland.

Stalin 'planned to send a million troops to stop Hitler if Britain and France agreed pact' - Telegraph

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back