memorial day USA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nor here, John. If the weather cooperates, I will be flying with a four ship for some flyovers of Memorial Day ceremonies. Here is a preview of my Facebook post for that day.

Attachments

• MemorialDay.jpg
    MemorialDay.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 139
I hope no one minds if I add my two cents, I posted this on Facebook today. :salute:

As we go about our personal matters this Monday, we must not forget the sacrifices made by so many in our Armed Forces for this to be possible. Memorial Day was originally created to remember those lost during the Civil War, our bloodiest war with over 650,000 dead. It has evolved since then, to honor fallen soldiers in all of our conflicts. We must always remember the fallen in all of our wars, from the widely supported Revolution and World War Two, to the divisive Vietnam War.

We should also remember the fallen of our allies. As a country, we should be rightfully proud of our achievements, take for example our role in World War Two. It was, however, a combined effort. Many countries fought and suffered to secure the free world from the tyranny of the Nazi party. From Great Britain and her Commonwealth, to the free French and Polish, to the Soviets in the east, and to the Chinese who fought the Imperial Japanese Empire. Out of all the nations which fought the Axis, the Soviets and Chinese suffered the most, with millions dead and landscape ravaged.

This next part will seem strange to others, unpatriotic even. I, however, believe that we should also remember the fallen soldiers of our enemies. By this, I do not include the perpetrators of evil acts. We should not honor the Einsatzgruppen, the death squads of the Nazis, who killed millions of "undesirables" (Poles, Gypsies, Jews, and Slavs). Nor should we honor the Vietcong, who murdered thousands in the city of Huế during the Tet Offensive (this is relatively unknown to most Americans compared to My Lai).

There were plenty of others, however, who fought for the same reasons as Americans. There were men such as Herbert Werner (U-boat commander) and Tameichi Hara (Japanese destroyer Captain). While on the opposing side, they served to protect their country and loved ones, just as many Americans did.
To whoever reads this, please do not assume that I'm an apologist. I still believe that my country fought for the right reasons, to rid the world of an evil regime. My only goal with this letter was to make an objective observation. I hope everyone enjoys themselves today. Just remember the fallen that made it possible.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."-Winston Churchill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back