Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6/AS and G-14/AS in 1/32?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Seeing that these were a G-6/AS and a G-14/AS.....

nvai23802-messerschmitt-bf-109-g-over-germany-part-1cati101iti705-10_tc02shopkager10_zpsrd1gcijb.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6/AS, W.Nr. 20 601, coded "Green 13", flown by Geschwaderkommodore JG 1 Obst. Walter Oesau; Lippspringe, May 1944. (Painted by Arkadiusz Wróbe)

nvai23802-messerschmitt-bf-109-g-over-germany-part-1cati101iti705-12_tc02shopkager12_zpsiiwmihnq.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-14/AS (s/n unknown) coded "Black 13", flown by Staffelkapitän 14./JG 4 Oblt. Ernst Scheufele; Reinersdorf, November 1944. (Painted by Arkadiusz Wróbel)

But, as some versions of the G-14, the G-14/AS, had a smooth engine cowling as was found on the G-10, while very late production G-14s had the wider wheels of the G-10/K series and the accompanying wider wheel bumps on the upper wing. Almost all G-14s had the Erla Haube clear vision canopy and the taller fin and rudder. There were two types of fin/rudder produced with the later versions being made entirely of wood. These later ones will be especially smooth with few, if any, panel lines. Production of this version was terminated in late 1944 as the 109K-4 came on line...

As I was going to use the Hasegawa 1/32 G-14 (thanks again Master Wayne!), I realised that this was a different version of the G-14 (early version?), as it has those two 'beule' or what they're called on the cowling....

Now, can one use the new Revell 1/32 G-10, for these two, G-6/AS and G-14/AS?

The Revell G-10 is the Erla version with the flat Squarish panel on the port side forward of the cockpit rather than the curved bulge, so this won't work, the hasegawa G-10 will get you a little closer to the mark but will require a few mods also.

Aaaah....
Just wait and see what the AM market and Revell do next then, at least I've got the decals...and not for £161-£400!!

:lol:

The Revell G-10 is the Erla version with the flat Squarish panel on the port side forward of the cockpit rather than the curved bulge, so this won't work, the hasegawa G-10 will get you a little closer to the mark but will require a few mods also.

Do explain, please...

Not 100% sure old boy, but I think MDC might have conversion parts. (Model design Construction, a UK outfit).

Cheers mate! :thumbright:

But, looking at the G-6/AS and the G-14/AS profiles, they look more like the bottom one...

Yes, that's correct.

The Revell kit apparently has a representation of a G-10/AS from the 490000 - 490800 and 491000 - 491600 production blocks delivered by Erla. These had the flat panel and you'd struggle to make a G-6/AS, G-14/AS, G-10 or K-4 from the kit without some serious modification as they all had bulged fairings in this position. As above, the Hasegawa G-10 has a bulged fairing, but they were not all exactly the same (relying on my less than perfect memory!). There are other more subtle and easily fixed differences between some of these types.

Cheers

Steve

Why not get a Hasegawa K-4 and work backwards? Does the kit come with small bulges and corresponding wheels? Move the radio access hatch, rescribe a filler port or two and use a late G stbd cockpit wall. And and and... Maybe the G-10 is a better jumping-off point after all.

Or better yet, get a G-6 and a G-10 and a K-4 and bash 'em.

Last edited:
Magic... As I lurch from one blunder to the next like a drunken Frankenstein's monster with a club foot.

I finished Tamiya's 109E-3 last night. Today I woke up with a headache. But now we're o/t.

A G-10 with narrow wing bulges is sometimes indistinguishable from a G-14 A/S or A/M. Just keep an eye on the depth of the oil cooler housing. My guess is that many were built to spec and designated after the fact. If you're in need I have a brilliant set of side elevation line drawings.

Last edited:
For what I remember (correct me if I'm wrong), Oesau's 'Green 13' Werk. Nr. 20601 was a converted G-6 to an /AS with all that a conversion included....all redesigned engine cowling, larger supercharger intake, larger fin and rudder (K-4?), did they also change the propeller, or?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back