Metal Gears... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chief

Senior Airman
Jul 12, 2006
Hey just an opinion thread.

Do you think they should look into walking tank technology? Sort of like Metal Gears (if you played the game) or Gundams.

I'm not trying to be a geek (although I am). I'm just wondering what you guys thought.

It could be benifician for moon type assignments. Like say building a moon base or something.

Still that is what some people said about Tanks in WW1. Unfortunetly, the military didn't heed this warning and sent them in anyway. Many loves lost. Although your right they probably would be to slow however in space is another story as just about everything is slow up there. That's what I'm saying.

Not defending just discussing.

you'll have to give a bit more info for those of us that aren't glued to a playstation............

It's basically a free stand or walking Tank. Sort of a humanoid looking tank/tank with legs. It although at first it could be unstable when used in the earths gravity.

However, I think it could help out in space exploration. It would give a height advantage and would be able to hold a lot.
On the bottom side, like I said before it could be unstable at first. It would be an easy target, plus it wouldn't really solve any go anywhere on any terrain ability that treaded tanks all ready has.

Exactly what I am saying. I do think they are part of the future of military conflicts but way off in the future. Like another 100 years or more. Right now our technology would not allow them to work.

Not the best example, but this company or guy in Japan has ALREADY made a moving bipeadal walker. Sure, it doesn't have real guns, but do you really think a civillian would have a 120mm gun on one arm and a rocket pod on the other? Still, if I could afford it, I would buy one, just for the sake of saying I owned one, that and the cockpit and the like look awsome.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVwbUljGs3g

Well yeah. I meant like off in the future. There's no way it would we would be able to have a Walker at level for worthy for combat. It would require a special armor more than we have now we'd run out of resources most just by building the factory. Plus with all that armor comes a lot of weight and with more weight means more power needed just for the thing to move. On top of that we don't really have the fuel. Although they are testing Anti-matter. I just heard it some where not sure if it's true. Of course there's also the thought about the cost. A project like this could end up being more costly than the space shuttle. In the end if the government did try to build such a thing even when teamed up with other countries in the long run it just wouldn't be worth it.

About that walker video. What is this Star Wars? All though I can see a fun game of paint ball looming. However the thing look in credibly unstable.
Plus you could probably do better with a sherman tank than with that thing.

I think if was well armoured, had lots of weapons, and a kilt it would scare the crap out of the bad guys...

here's one I made earlier:

mech3.jpg

That thing can't possibly turn fast enough. Even so that thing look's about as scary as Hillary Clinton with the entire US military at her disposle. Although I wouldn't rip the kilt those who rip off a laddy's kilt is often killed on the spot.

I got one better.... The Hygogg from Gundam 0080 has beam weapons, torpedoes, and huge missiles to fit over the arms. Plus, it has claws that can rend armor apart. Plus, the arms and legs fold close to the body for better streamlining while under water.
Some stats:
pilot only, in standard cockpit in torso
Dimensions: head height 15.4 meters
Weight: empty 54.5 metric tons; max gross 79.2 metric tons
Construction: titanium/ceramic composite on monocoque frame
Powerplant: Minovsky type ultracompact fusion reactor, output rated at 2735 kW
Propulsion: rocket/hydrojet thrusters: 2 x 38000 kg, 1 x 10000 kg; optional hydrojet booster packs: 2; vernier thrusters/apogee motors: 9
Performance: maximum thruster acceleration 1.09 G; maximum water speed 89 knots
So, you can kinda draw some scale for the missile units, and figure out that they would hurt like heck!!!
The suit itself
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/0080/msm-03c.jpg

The over-arm missile attachement
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/0080/lineart/msm-03c-handmissileunit.jpg

Would have said this earlier, but it would have taken up too much space. My personall favorite when it comes to MS is the Heavy Arms Custom. A fitting name for a suit that can engage whole MS battalions on its own....

Dimensions: head height 16.7 meters
Weight: empty 8.2 metric tons; max gross weight unknown
Construction: gundanium alloy
Powerplant: ultracompact fusion reactor, output rated at 3190 kW
Propulsion: rocket thrusters: 73750 kg total
Equipment and design features: sensors, range unknown; self-destruct system
Fixed armaments: 2 x vulcan gun, fire-linked, mounted in head; 2 x machine cannon, fire-linked, mounted in torso; 4 x Gatling gun, fire-linked, mounted in chest; 4 x 9-tube homing missile launcher, mounted on legs; 2 x 22-tube micromissile launcher system, mounted in shoulder armor; 2 x 4-tube micromissile launcher, mounted on hip armor
Optional hand armaments: 2 x double Gatling gun, can be stored on backpack storage racks
suit
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/endlesswaltz/xxxg-01h2.jpg

Large missiles on the sholders
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/endlesswaltz/lineart/xxxg-01h2-micromissilelaunchers.jpg

Which now that you mention it there's something else. By the time we do get these Metal Gear's (someone come up with an original name please) we should have lazer weapons. They actually have a working lazer in a test facility somewhere. I also heard that sometime soon they'll introduce an Anti-missle defense system for planes. I heard it on the history channel. Not sure how true it is, but it wouldn't be that hard to believe.

Also not sure how soon is soon, though.

How about the Shagohod - A massive unfeasible tank which can launch ICBM's from a 3 mile runway, and accelerates up to 300mph with two rather average sized rocket motors...Ahhhh Metal Gears. Stupid but fun :lol: But then again this was designed in the early 60's....Apparently ;)

shagohod.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back