Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Overkill

• Mercyful Fate

• Exodus

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
Well it seems that we have quite a bit of metal/hard rock fans on this forum (based off of recent discussions). I too am a big Heavy Metal fan, and since I enjoy talking about music just as much as I do talking about aviation (they are my two favorite things...;)), I figured it would be time to decide who we all think is the greatest Metal band out there, past or present.

Voted Metallica for obvious reasons (somehow I think they'll win this poll :) ).

Didn't know Dream Theater was considered "Metal". Anyway, I saw them and they sounded like they were playbacking their own album. They even had a coffee break during the concert :lol:

I have no doubt at all that the mighty Metallica will rule this poll (with good reason, too), but I've cast a heathen vote for Deftones. Simply one of the most stunningly original and powerful bands of recent history, and still making their formula sound fresh after all these years. More importantly, Adrenaline and Around The Fur still sound like they could have come out yesterday - for me, that is a sure sign of a great band...

Didn't know Dream Theater was considered "Metal". Anyway, I saw them and they sounded like they were playbacking their own album. They even had a coffee break during the concert :lol:

They are considered Progressive Metal.

I have no doubt at all that the mighty Metallica will rule this poll (with good reason, too), but I've cast a heathen vote for Deftones. Simply one of the most stunningly original and powerful bands of recent history, and still making their formula sound fresh after all these years. More importantly, Adrenaline and Around The Fur still sound like they could have come out yesterday - for me, that is a sure sign of a great band...

I think the Deftones sound alright on CD, and they have some great songs. Live is where they do not convince me. Each time I have seen them, I have almost fallen asleep. :lol:

I've seen Deftones live twice and thought they were brilliant both times 8) I think the sound is something of an acquired taste though - I'm also very into stuff like Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine and I tend to see Deftones as having some similar features, like the walls of sound, the use of the vocal as an instrument in the ensemble rather than a lead solo part,hypnotic riffs and beats and such like. They just do it in a much heavier way, IMHO...

I had to go with Metallica on this one, closely followed by Megadeth (who, incidentally, was founded by an ex-Metallica member); I still remember the first time I heard Master Of Puppets back in '85, and realized what a great band they were. Haven't looked back since . . . .

6 of my 8 favorite bands made the list but can't pick !! But Metallica isn't one of them for me.

I had to vote Other - Amon Amarth, their guitar work is incredible, esp on "Gods of War Arise" and "Cry of the BLackbirds"

I'm like Yerger though, there are a lot of excellent bands on the list.

I voted Black Sabbath as they virtually invented Heavy Metal way back in the 60's

I had to go with Metallica on this one, closely followed by Megadeth (who, incidentally, was founded by an ex-Metallica member); I still remember the first time I heard Master Of Puppets back in '85, and realized what a great band they were. Haven't looked back since . . . .

MoP did not come out in 1985...

It was 1986, I still have my original vinyl copy.

I had to vote Other - Amon Amarth, their guitar work is incredible, esp on "Gods of War Arise" and "Cry of the BLackbirds"

I really enjoy Amon Amarth. Got to see them with Slayer last year. Really great band and great show.

Okay, so my memory's faulty; when you get to be my age, things kinda tend to run together.

And I really DON"T want to get into a pissing match with you, Adler, it's not worth it; you're one of the rocks this website is built upon. But I, too, have vinyl copies of MoP, Ride the Lightning AND Kill 'Em All, not to mention my favorite EP, Creeping Death.

Okay, so my memory's faulty; when you get to be my age, things kinda tend to run together.

And I really DON"T want to get into a pissing match with you, Adler, it's not worth it; you're one of the rocks this website is built upon. But I, too, have vinyl copies of MoP, Ride the Lightning AND Kill 'Em All, not to mention my favorite EP, Creeping Death.

No, no, no....:lol:

I was not trying to get into a pissing contest with you. I was only correcting you, that is all. Please do not feel offended, that was not my intention. This is just a musical conversation, nothing else. There is no need to get into pissing contests over such a subject.

No, no, no....:lol:

I was not trying to get into a pissing contest with you. I was only correcting you, that is all. Please do not feel offended, that was not my intention. This is just a musical conversation, nothing else. There is no need to get into pissing contests over such a subject.

Agreed; it's not the first time I've been wrong, and it certainly will not be the last.

As I said, at my advanced age, the last few decades tend to run together; I can tell you where I was when the Challenger blew up, and I can tell you where I was when the Wall came down, and I can tell you where I was on 9/11, but that's about it . . . .

Carry on!

Since I have more favorite Ozzy songs than any other band here, I had to go with the prince of darkness.

I'm the same, except with Rammstein. Love that band. Oddly enough when I started German class my pronunciation was already good, and I attribute it to listening to them, despite having no idea (at the time) what any of it meant! :lol:

Another one of my favourite bands, that I suppose could be either metal or hard rock is Shinedown. Really great band, fairly new, but have some really solid tracks.

Breaking Benjamin is another.

I don't know if you guys would count them as 'metal' (they are usually labelled 'metalcore', whatever that means), but 36Crazyfists are another quality band, awesome live too. Same goes for Poison The Well too.

Obviously not the greatest metal band for me (as I am a Metallica fan), but have you all heard the new Megadeth album yet? I am really digging it at the moment. Check out the song "44 Minutes". It is really really good...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL7DED8huak

megadeth-endgame.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back