Micro Build, 1/285 scale Ki-27

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

George,

Good to hear that there maybe weapons load for the Thud and Intruder. Couldn't imaine scratching building them though. I can see where round stock styrene would come in handy!

Hope there is no complaints about modern discussion on a Warbird forum?

Been working my project each night, will post some new pix after I get back home from Tacoma tomorrow if time permits. I have found though, its a big learning cure but very fun though.

There is several things I have really noticed for myself attempting a 1/285 build.

1. Need to buy some black styrene and alternate the layers, white, black, white. I'm finding at times, it becomes very hard to see my file lines.
2. A little bit larger selection of styrene to use would be helpful. Diffrent thickness and round stock.
3. Make the basic size of the build a bit larger then the end result. A lot of material is removed during the process and it helps to have a bit too much then not enough.
4. Take my time and not rush the process...I tend to get in trouble rushing! :)
5. Invest into some better files for material removal. I have two nice sets of needle files but, they are for fine work.
6. Pickup some diffrent Green Putty...Currently using MMD and it takes long to setup. Once setup though, its easy to work with.

couple of questions for you George.

1. Types of tools you use for builds?
2. Next modern project for a modern 1/285 build that you've been thinking about, just haven't gotten around to yet?
3. For builds, is there ever a consideration to design the build with wings and stabalizers seperate like many of the GHQ and CinC aircraft available? I can see pro's and con's on this question. Some of the CinC production stuff, I wish were not seperate. Keeping things glued together can be a big challenge!

Glad too see your modern builds with Raiden. Several are not available through GHQ or CinC. Like the F-8, A-4 the soon to be F-105, A-6 and the Su-15. Not too sure why there is a big hole in both of those companies modern aircraft lines. Especially GHQ, they have been at it a very long time and do have an exstensive catalog for other 1/285 product lines. The WWll product line is huge but again, missing key models. One that really stands out, the P-51D.

I'd love to see newer aircraft (and a few older too) released by any of the three mentioned...Some examples would be the Su-27, Su-34, Eurofighter, The Rafel, Sepecat Jaguar, Mirage F-1, F-22, F-35, Older Sea Harrier, A-7, F-15E and even the B-52 would be awesome! :) Ah, its nice to dream...

Jim,

I do in fact live in Lakewood by TACOMA. What are you doing out here?

Yes, Sea Harrier is planned. The CinC A-7 is good so have not made on vs that. Su-17/22 is planned
I want the planes one-piece, they are for GAMING more than some display case

Re GHQ and no P-51D
I had a P-51D that I sculpted years back. Left it with a friend, never got it back. Probably dimensionally not correct as I was comparing parts to a plan set....but it was quite a bit more slick than the Raiden Mustang by Mark.

Tools
You should see lots in my Bf 109 Gustav build thread. I used to use Swiss Army Knife scissors to cut around. Now I use end nippers. I use that curved riffle file. I have some jeweler's files that I seldom use. Assorted sand papers, occasional filler. Note on filler, I seldom use it because it can chip. If the nose is short, chop off a chunk, ad a new longer piece. Be careful going bigger, profiles can become corrupt
I have built quite a few ACW warship masters in 1/600. I plan the build in my head as I have little modeling

resin is the way to go to cast the larger planes
the Museum of Flight in SoSeattle used to sell B-52s, very close to 1/300

I'm down in Portand...Will be in Tacoma for a photo shoot. I'm a rock and roll photographer, and I'm shooting an 80's prog hard rock band Queensryche. If interested, you can see my work at Jim Corso Photography.

You hit the nail on the head...models built for gaming not for display. One of the things I dislike both GHQ and CinC. Most of the modern models are soooo delicate. Also depends on the glue used to put them together. I've been using Gorilla Glue for a while now. Works well, has a good bond and is flexable and not so brittle.

Been real easy with the Green Putty. Only use it to fill hole. Not for sculpting at all.

Wish CinC would get the A-7 back into production. It hasn't been available for almost 7 years now. I ask about it from time to time, get the same response every time. Told soon, awfully long soon! :)

So an Su-17/22, cool. Great looking airplane. I have several of the CinC models. Nice but, back to that delicate thing again.

I've really surprised my self with my J39 build. Didn't think it would actually turn out to look like and aircraft. I've been really trying though. Been keeping track so I don't get scale creep or remove too much. My reloading calipers are coming in handy! Wanting to start the next one but want to get the J39 to the stage where it's ready to be scribed. Then I'll start the new project.

Had to clip off the nose cone of the J39....It wasn't looing right and no matter what I did to try to recover, it looked worse. Looks much better now with the new plastic. One of the cool things working with styrene.

As I was working on it last night, was thinking about what to try next. With modern fighters/bombers, there is nothing easy to model. But, the Sepecat Jaguar doesn't look too bad. Think that will be the nect one....

Would be cool to see you do a B-17 George! What an amazing aircraft. Could you imaging 40-50 of them flying overhead in formation, magnificient! Maybe you could toy around with the idea of a B-26 too?

Anything you chose to do, would be cool. And I'd have no prob's buying several of each. That reminds me, A-6 intruder? Just joke!! :)

Correct, there is a Raiden BLACK WIDOW. I have some 1/600 ACW Iron Clads to paint and base for a game next week. After that, Game On with the small scale stuff.

I more or less finished painting, basing, hghlighting the ACW Ironclads, tinclads, and gunboats for tomorrow's gaming action in Seattle
Though I have created numerous 1:600 masters for BayAreaYards, none are shown here. This is to give you an idea of the odd assortment of warships for that conflict

041.JPG

042.JPG

054.JPG

047.JPG

I think the thread where you post a pic with airplane is locked...
but one of my future builds will be Su-17/22....here I am posed with one, Samara East Airfield, DEC '03

407091_321721077861011_100000693631228_1008330_1508935987_n.jpg

Another shot, late JAN or early FEB of'04, Tal'Afar air field (we called it Forward Operating Base FULDA), NW Iraq... we got 4" OF SNOW!

378929_321721151194337_100000693631228_1008332_2086258407_n.jpg

Finger end numbness better, time to play
I made the MiG-21F-13 in 1/285 scale last year and have the MiG-21MF along 80%. It is built around some thin wall Aluminum tube. While finishing the MF, I realized it would be easy to convert one of my F-13 versions into an intermediate type, the PFM. Thought I'd post up a few pics. Yes, will get back to the other projects soon.

MiG-21F-13, PFM, and MF
422393_354585851241200_100000693631228_1086981_286712351_n.jpg

detail of the PFM canopy, needs more work
020.JPG

MF and FPM getting some attention
021.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back