Midland Air Museum

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Now I've got my connection problem sorted, I'll post some of mine.
The Museum is also home to the Sir Frank Whittle Heritage Centre, and just inside the main entrance there is a separate exhibition dedicated to the man and his work on the jet engine, which includes an original engine, parts and cut away sections and a very large scale model of the Gloster prototype used to test the first jet engines.
PICS 1 to 4 show these.
PICS 5 to 7 Show the contrast with the German Jumo 004 engine, just inside the main hangar.
PICS 8 to 10. There are a number of complete cockpit sections on display,many of of which are open for inspection, with the Meteor 8 being shown here. We were fortunate enough to start chatting to one of the museum staff, himself a former FAA pilot, who very kindly opened up some of the other cockpits, and complete aircraft, especially for us, of which more later in this 'tour'.
I'll post more over the coming days, as there are quite a number of photos covering this great little museum, which is situated on the north west corner of the present-day Coventry Airport, once known as Bagington, and the home of Armstrong Whitworth.

Attachments

• Midland Air Museum 003.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 003.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Midland Air Museum 004.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 004.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Midland Air Museum 005.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 005.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 100
  • Midland Air Museum 006.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 006.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Midland Air Museum 008.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 008.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Midland Air Museum 012.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 012.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Midland Air Museum 013.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 013.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Midland Air Museum 053.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 053.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Midland Air Museum 032.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 032.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Midland Air Museum 031.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 031.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Thanks guys. That's the front end of a complete T-33. The Meteor is the F8 mentioned, as are the cockpit shots. Nearby, just showing, is a Meteor F4, which will be shown later.

Great cockpit shots for the serious detailer and weathering Terry. Don't want to sound ultra dumb here(too late) but the seat wasn't in that condition during operational life was it. It had to have been store somewhere out back and then added to the cockpit later for display.

Geo

A bit later than intended, as I'm feeling rather rough at the moment - darned arthritis is in 'flare up' mode - bl**dy painful and draining!
PICS 1 and 2. One of only two Meteor F4s left in the world, the Museum's example is the second oldest.
PICS 3 to 5. The SAAB Tunnan, the only one in Britain. As can be seen, access to the cockpit is allowed, although we didn't ask for it to be opened for us.
PIC 6. Yes, it is a real aircraft stuck up on a shelf! A Druine Turbulent, a couple of which used to be based at my local Aero Club.
PICS 7 and 8. The ex- French Air Force T-33, painted in US ANG colours. Again, cockpit access was possible, but I didn't ask for the canopy to be opened. (Got some shots through the canopy, but lots of reflections off the glass.)
PICS 9 to 11. This is a 'live' Harrier GR5 procedures trainer, with Karl enjoying himself at the controls. Our friendly ex-FAA pilot opened this up especially for us. Notice the huge contrast between this and the Meteor F8 cockpit posted earlier.
PIC 12. One of only two Vampire F1's left in the world, in the colours of 606 (County of Warwick) Sqn, RAuxAF.
Hope you like the pics, and I'll post a further batch when I'm more alive.

Attachments

• Midland Air Museum 055.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 055.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Midland Air Museum 017.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 017.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 89
  • Midland Air Museum 041.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 041.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Midland Air Museum 042.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 042.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 61
  • Midland Air Museum 084.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 084.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Midland Air Museum 050.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 050.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Midland Air Museum 054.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 054.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Midland Air Museum 069.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 069.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Midland Air Museum 074.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 074.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Midland Air Museum 294.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 294.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Midland Air Museum 297.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 297.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Midland Air Museum 122.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 122.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 75
Thanks Hugh and Glenn.
Carrying on round the packed main hangar, here are some of the other exhibits. There was also a mezzenine floor, with the 'Wings over Coventry' exhibition, which included the only surviving piece of a Whitley fuselage, but my legs were to knackered to cope with the stairs unfortunately. Also listed in the museum's full aircraft complement are a Beaufighter nose, which we didn't spot, and a Typhoon forward fuselage, under restoration, which can be viewed by prior arrangement.
PICS 1 to 4. This little beauty is the Chichester-Miles business jet, a sleek four-seater, twin jet development aircraft. This example is the second prototype, having completed it's first flight in 1997, and done a total of 84 development flights. The last shot shows one of it's tiny jet engines.
PICS 5 to 8. Canberra T17A (ECM) nose section and interior. This example started life as a B2 and, whilst on loan to the RNZAF, saw action in Malaya. It's possible to view the fully equipped interior, which is lit as per on operations, and an authentic 'radio chatter' can also be heard.
PIC 9. The sole example of the Fairey Ultralight helicopter.
PIC 10. Slingsby glider, with part of the ejection seat display beneath.
PICS 11 and 12. Link simulator (similar to a Link trainer, but not specifically for 'blind' flying), and its modern-day equivalent, a Links-Miles simulator.
The museum also has some very nice model displays, some of which I've posted in the Modelling section.
Thanks for your interest so far, and there's lots more to come - I'll post another batch tomorrow.

Attachments

• Midland Air Museum 064.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 064.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 81
  • Midland Air Museum 057.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 057.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Midland Air Museum 061.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 061.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Midland Air Museum 301.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 301.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 93
  • Midland Air Museum 098.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 098.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Midland Air Museum 113.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 113.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 97
  • Midland Air Museum 114.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 114.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Midland Air Museum 115.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 115.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Midland Air Museum 118.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 118.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Midland Air Museum 132.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 132.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Midland Air Museum 148.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 148.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Midland Air Museum 149.jpg
    Midland Air Museum 149.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 79
Nice pictures gents, it looks like a nice intimate museum and a good place for reference material. I've a model of the T-55 Lightning on shelf, Ser no 55-712 and I'd forgotten how big the Argosy was.

Thanks mate. I'll post another batch sometime this evening, moving outside into the 'changing seasons within an hour' weather !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back