Mig-23 flaw?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

We haven't been as much separated from the west as party leaders could wish. Many Polish companies have sold services to the west those days (even all serious industry was state owned) and not much have change in this matter - our economy is closely bonded (good for us) to the surrounding world , especially remaining part of EU. Answering on your question - we had pretty much good idea how life on the west looks like - from other hand, difference in standard of living was astonishing - big enough that for many peoples life of beggar in Hamburg was serious dream not mentioning about 18 hours shifts in factory located in Chicago. Even after joining to EU living standard improved significantly we still have serious difference. To illustrate this - my wage when i've worked for GE (was god one in local conditions) it was about 40-50% of this what GE is paying to engineer on the same position in US - not even mentioning difference in taxes.

My visit to Romania was an eye opener.

It started badly when our airplane was a 4 prop job that looked like a WW2 bomber. Holy Jesus what is that? What the hell is that! It was an Il-18 but talk about asking the rear gunner for the time.

Food was pretty bad. Powercuts were frequent which made taking the lift a dodgy affair.

There was a dollar shop in the hotel which was full of garish garbage like weird looking dolls But mainly you could buy basic items that you would find in any corner shop in England. Coca Cola or chocolate or basic toiletries. Nothing fancy.

The currency was difficult because you couldn't exchange it back so you only could take what was needed. Although the locals were more than happy to exchange currency at a much higher rate! So selling old adidas trainers for a bit of cash.

We all were fed up and couldn't get back to the airport quick enough. But it sticks in the memory and that's for sure. But it was certainly a look at the other side of the mirror and however bad England was in the 80s it was a damn sight better than Romania and that no lie.

During communist's times Poland, in a term of standard of living, was a two steps fwd in compare to Romania. Just two steps and as much as two steps. Romania was slightly separated from remaining part of WP due to fact that Causescu disliked Soviet version of internal politics as a "too soft" - hard to imagine this but in results he have been executed together with his family by his own army. :D - you have been pretty unlucky that you visited almost worst part of Eastern block when it exist - well always it can be worst you may landed in Albania... :D

Romania was ok cos of sunshine. As a tourist attraction it was pretty bad but if you're the adventurous camping type, it would have been a laugh.

Visiting a communist country has a magic potion like quality of suddenly thinking communism sucks.

And they shot Ceaușescu at first opportunity. Go figure.

Interesting thread gentlemen, on many levels, a good insight into the Mig-23 & the capabilities of various other aircraft & some superb insights into life at a previous time from J_P_C. Many thanks.
The closest I ever came to the Eastern Bloc was driving coach tours in Europe in the early 80s, we visited Bulgaria & the then Yugoslavia as we returned from Istanbul. Those brief glimpses were enough for most of the Aussies & Kiwis we had on board. Had I done another year I'd have likely got a trip to the USSR, Poland & East Germany, maybe it would have been worth doing that. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back