Military Aviation Museum in Va Beach VA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What, the whole lot?!!
And so soon after the recent additions of aircraft, buildings and equipment?!
Be interesting to find out who, what, where etc, and if it's all staying together.

The whole collection has not been sold! That is bullshit. I am only there everyday, the Military Aviation Museum's Collection has NOT been sold. I can not give details on anything out of respect for Jerry Yagen and the Museum.

Last edited:
It's hit the newspapers as well what a shame:

Va. Beach museum owner selling plane collection | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

By Aaron Applegate
The Virginian-Pilot
© June 24, 2013
VIRGINIA BEACH

The owner of one of the world's largest collections of World War I- and World War II-era planes is selling off his aircraft and said he may have to close the Military Aviation Museum in Pungo.

Gerald Yagen said on Monday he no longer can afford to keep the collection and, likely, the museum. The announcement shocked warplane enthusiasts and city officials who'd embraced the unique attraction in the city's rural south.

"I'm subsidizing it heavily every year and my business no longer allows me to do that financially, and therefore I don't have a solution for it," Yagen said.

He said the four vocational trade schools he owned, including the Aviation Institute of Maintenance, Centura College and Tidewater Tech, have been acquired by another business. He declined to elaborate. On Tuesday morning, Yagen said his school were in the process of being acquired and negotiations are ongoing.
For years, Yagen, an avid pilot, has scoured the globe looking for old planes to refurbish and fly. In 2008, he opened the Military Aviation Museum and has expanded it several times, once to include a two-story 1941 British air tower that he had shipped piece-by-piece to Virginia Beach. In the past, Yagen has teamed up with the Virginia Symphony Orchestra to coordinate events featuring music and vintage planes, and has shown warplane-themed movies in a museum hangar.

Last spring, Yagen brought to Virginia Beach what is believed to be the world's last flying de Havilland Mosquito, a Canadian-built fighter plane used by the British in World War II.

Historic plane enthusiasts were surprised to learn Yagen was selling his collection.

"I'm just flabbergasted," said Dan Hagedorn, curator of The Museum of Flight in Seattle. "I thought everything was going quite well for him."

Hagedorn said Yagen was known for the rare ability to renovate planes in a historically accurate manner while at the same time keeping them functional.

"He mixed the best of both worlds," he said. "His color schemes and detail in instrumentation has always been exemplary. There just aren't that many folks in the world that can do that. He was sort of in a category by himself."

City officials said they didn't see Yagen's announcement coming.

"I'm really shocked," Councilman Jim Wood said. "I was just down there with my Rotary Club a month ago. We had breakfast, toured the museum. There were people working on the planes. They were talking about expansion planes. This is really sudden."

"It's devastating news," Councilman Bob Dyer said. "That was one of the jewels of Virginia Beach."

Yagen said nine groups interested in buying planes visited the museum last week to look over the collection. So far, he said he's sold two planes, a Boeing B-17 heavy American bomber, and a Focke-Wulf 190, a single-seat German plane. Both flew during World War II.

Yagen said he doesn't know how many planes he owns. He said he has planes in Virginia Beach and around the world that nobody has seen. In the past, he's pegged his inventory at around 50 planes.

Kermit Weeks, a collector and aviation enthusiast from Florida, said it's impossible to make money on historic airplanes.

"I can tell you people do it because they have a passion," he said. "It's kind of a hobby gone wild. It's kind of like an art form at this point. The planes have no commercial value."

Yagen said of himself, "They will say he was very foolish and they will be right. I was living a dream I was sharing with other people and it came to an end."

The 17 and Flugwerk 190 have been sold, the rest is going up for bids and being handled internally. The key players in todays warbird market will give these aircraft a proper home.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back