MilitaryAircraft101's P-40E Instrument Panel Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dec 5, 2010
Hey all, not so new to the forums, as I've been a member for over a year now (sheesh time flies), but I only posted for the first time today :shock: Anyway, I have a project, it is a P-40E IP, it will have all original parts apart from the panel itself. Currently I have three of the 15 required instruments; Coolant Temperature, Suction and Fuel. I am watching eBay and other sites closely to see if any more come up. If anyone has any instruments which would be suitable for a P-40E, send me a pic and we can talk. Also, if anyone has plans of the actual panel itself so I can begin it, that would be appreciated. Cheers all, MA101 :leftfighter7:mopedsmile:

The coolant temperature and suction gages are pretty common. The fuel gage, if it is the right type for a P-40, is far less common. Keep looking on eBay. Try a saved search of the instruments you're looking for so it sends you an automatic email when they come up, but keep the search wording basic, such as "climb" or "gyro" or horizon". You might try Warbirdparts.com also. He has a selection of gages, but try not to faint at the prices.

This is a plan for a P-40E panel. I have a larger file of this plan at home and will be happy to send it to you if you get me an email address, but don't post it here, get it to me in a PM.

Attachments

• P-40%20Blueprint.jpg
    P-40%20Blueprint.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Looking forward to watching this one. There is a guy here in Australia who has some bits..I recall seeing a Flap/U/C gauge pass in near Christmas for $65...nearly bought it myself just on spec!

There was some guy on eBay last year who must have found a box of those gages NOS. I bought two, one for the P-47 panel and one for the P-40. I think it was 30$ plus shipping each. I'll see if I have the receipt somewhere to see who was selling it. It has a plug connection on the back with like 12 pins. I played around with it a little with a power supply and made it work, but getting the right combination if pins right to get it to do what you wanted to do was difficult. I bought a connector that fit the gage, but couldn't get it to fit with the P-47 panel installed in the cockpit - support frame in the way - maybe I can get it to work when I do the P-40 panel.

Attachments

• P4254794.JPG
    P4254794.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 224
Alrighty, I've just picked up a Manifold Pressure gauge, and a Sperry Directional Gyro off eBay, $38 inc post and $32 respectively. Pics soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back