Misrepresented Statistics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1) look for a graph that has a large increment on the y axis (going up) this makes the rate of increase seem larger than it is

2) look for a survey group of less than 1,000. Groups do this to purposefully scew data.

3) look for data that has a +/- of more than 2 or 3 percent.

4) use data that uses the Texas school districts!! they lied about their successes and as a result we all got NCLB.

5) Actually look at data from ANY state about school data. They're stupid when it comes to reliable data- example: growth or lack thereof of 4th graders from 2008/2009-2009/2010...... well, that's comparing 2 different sets of kids (the 2008/09 4th graders are now in 5th grade) so you can't really compare 1 group of kids score to anothers a year later and say "they" aren't improving. When really, if in 3rd grade only 60% passed the test, and then in 4th grade the same group 75% passed- they did improve... even if last year, 84% of my class passed.

Here's another one- not only does my school district compare grades year to year, but this year they changed the test- so my kids this year have to improve on my students score from last year and on a harder test. They changed a variable. Brilliant aye??

OK off the rant!!

I love statistics and numbers.

Thats a good one KM. You should see the Abbott numbers around here or rather how much is spent per child amd then why those children don't excel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back