modelling Lt. Bob Hanson's F4U-1A

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, sure is!

re Bill's comment regarding the tail hook: they were removed from RNZAF aircraft, operating them as they did fom land based coral strips.

Hi A4K: I would assume that to be the case. If I was flying them, I would have removed the tailhook, too. With the USMC, I think the majority of them removed the tailhooks when land based earlier in the war, although some period photographs show them still attached. I'm still debating whether I will remove the tailhook when it hangs in the museum in a couple of months. On one hand, I"d say that, yes, chances are Hanson removed his tailhook. On the other, I don't have irrefutable evidence that he did, and also the museum would like to honor all Corsair pilots, many of whom were later carrier based. Plus, it looks very cool and adds a dimension of discussion for the visitors when they see it, and realize that these planes also landed on tiny aircraft carriers.

I'll probably make the decision at the last moment as we hang it up

Thanks for the interest and input.

cheers

davegee

Hi All: I just added the Bureau numbers "596" onto the main gear doors/dive brakes. I wasn't sure that they were on this plane at first, but further research showed an airplane with Lt. Hanson in front of it with numbers painted on the door, so I added them.

davegee

Attachments

• DSC_1983r.jpg
    DSC_1983r.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_1982resizwd.jpg
    DSC_1982resizwd.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 83
Thanks to all who have viewed/commented on this thread. I look forward to having the model installed in the Spirit of Flight Center this fall in Erie, Colorado. We would like to invite anyone living in the Denver metro area who are interested, especially any former or current naval aviators, especially marines, to attend, too. We will be celebrating not only the rich history of the Corsair aircraft and anyone who had anything to do with them like marine Lieutenant and Medal of Honor recipient Bob Hanson, but also the 100th anniversary of marine aviation (1912-2012).

Once we have settled on a date/time for this, I''ll post it on this thread.

davegee

Hi All: here is a pic I took in the garage today. Just had a sign company make a banner that will hang somewhere in the museum with the airplane when it is installed there later this fall.
Semper Fi! and congratulations for 100 years of marine aviation to all you marines out there!:usa

davegee

Attachments

• DSC_1992resized.jpg
    DSC_1992resized.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Hi All: I was in Manila, PI the other day on a layover. One thing I wanted to do was make a rubbing over the name of Lt. Hanson on the Wall of the Missing at the American Military Cemetery there. This immaculately maintained cemetery is the largest one outside the USA, with over 17,000 graves and the names of over 38,000 missing soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines from WWII. One of them on the list is Captain Robert Murray Hanson (promoted to captain posthumously along with the MOH). It is a beautiful place and very stirring seeing all of the markers showing what great sacrifices they made. I'll include a few pics of the memorial and our rubbing over the name on paper and graphite sticks. One of the copies will be framed and given to a museum, along with the plane someday. Still deciding on which museum it will go to.

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9624resized.jpg
    IMG_9624resized.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 61
Hi All: has anyone been to the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredricksburg, TX? This is one museum on my list for possible donation of the Corsair model. From the website and reviews, it looks very good. There is even a special area discussing the battles in the Solomon Islands and it has a photo of Lt. Hanson and a description of his MOH citation. Might be a nice spot to place the model, but was curious for any reactions from anyone who has visited it recently. It underwent a massive updating and expansion in 2009, so I'd need comments since that time.

thanks so much,

davegee

Hi All: after considering offers from a number of wonderful museums around the country, I have decided to place it in the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, Florida. I am delighted the model will go here, and will be arranging to bring it down and install it in the Emil Buehler Library in the museum, next to an existing display celebrating 100 years of Marine Aviation. Working around my work schedule, it should be installed in the next two months, maybe sooner.

I'll post pics of the installation of the model on this site.

davegee:)

Tentative plans are to bring it down to Pensacola from Denver on October 21-23. Installation will be October 23-24, 2012.
davegee

Hi All: I took a few more outdoor pics of the plane recently. These are probably the last ones taken outdoors before it goes to the Naval Aviation Museum in Florida. Since the previous pics on this blog, I made a number of small changes to the plane. I trimmed the canopy down some (bottom frame too large) recessed the gun blast tubes more, repaired some skin warping of the rudder, etc. Plus, I had never taken any photos with the canopy closed. As the saying goes, "you're never really done with these things!"

cheers

Attachments

• DSC_2811resized.jpg
    DSC_2811resized.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_2766resized.jpg
    DSC_2766resized.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_2819resized.jpg
    DSC_2819resized.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_2809resized.jpg
    DSC_2809resized.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 68
Hi All: just returned from our trip to Pensacola to install the Corsair in the National Naval Aviation Museum. The plane can be seen in the Emil Buehler Library.
Cheers

Davegee

Attachments

• DSC_2895resized.jpg
    DSC_2895resized.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_2901resized.jpg
    DSC_2901resized.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_3381resized.jpg
    DSC_3381resized.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 53