Modern ships....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imagine a stealth aircraft carrier....

enclosed flight deck with VTOL aircraft .... maybe submersible..

Sorry guys, but actually armoured vehicles have that "slanted look" but not for stealth: although they want to deflect something, in this case it is not radar - not practical to something on the ground -, but projectiles thrown against them.

I think most were aware of that. It is a design that was used going back to WW2.

imagine a stealth aircraft carrier....

enclosed flight deck with VTOL aircraft .... maybe submersible..

I would not be surprised if someone in some government office has thought up that idea already.

It would be kind of neat though...

I would not be surprised if someone in some government office has thought up that idea already.
It would be kind of neat though...

It's highly unlikely to be practical though... Stealth doesnt make items invisible.. just ALOT more difficult to acquire via radar or lock onto. Even if aircraft carrier's signature could be reduced to the size of a 20 foot vessel... it's still large enough to be seen by missiles.

I'd like to see an artists rendering ...

It's highly unlikely to be practical though... Stealth doesnt make items invisible.. just ALOT more difficult to acquire via radar or lock onto. Even if aircraft carrier's signature could be reduced to the size of a 20 foot vessel... it's still large enough to be seen by missiles.

I'd like to see an artists rendering ...

I agree, but I would still love to see an artists rendering as well.

I think most were aware of that. It is a design that was used going back to WW2.

It didn't look like a joke, that's why I spoke up.
If that's the case, great!

On the stealth aircraft carrier, I know I've seen some drawings on a submarine concept.
The Type 45 is a stealth design, usually you can tell when it has almost no openings, just flat, about 10º-from-vertical surfaces, usually a single mast. Now they are also dissimulating the exhaust heat, and the guns.

the Visby Class was the world's First true all stealth ship it entered in 96-97 and then all this talk stealth hit the water and now all the Ships have stealth charater

Actually the first was the Sea Shadow (IX-529), which was built in 1985.

800px-US_Navy_Sea_Shadow_stealth_craft.jpg

The tank's armor is sloped the increase the thickness and not so much as to deflect the round. Sorry but I am at work and do not have a picture I can post. For example, if you take a plate 1/2 inch thick and place it on a table at a 90 degree angle, a round will have to punch through 1/2 inches. If you change to angle to 60 degrees the round will have to pass through more than 1/2 inch. This wil help

Sloped armour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am an old Cav Scout. The army has been working on stealth tank designs since the early 1990's. They are working on using digital cameras to project images on the sides of AFV to mask it from gunners. They are also using rotorwing technology to help with engine noise and heat signatures. People have been talking about the death of armour since WWI. Technology always changes the advantages between, armour, fire power and mobility. Right now the attack helo is on top. Armour will be back.

DBII

The tank's armor is sloped the increase the thickness and not so much as to deflect the round. Sorry but I am at work and do not have a picture I can post. For example, if you take a plate 1/2 inch thick and place it on a table at a 90 degree angle, a round will have to punch through 1/2 inches. If you change to angle to 60 degrees the round will have to pass through more than 1/2 inch. This wil help

Sloped armour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am an old Cav Scout. The army has been working on stealth tank designs since the early 1990's. They are working on using digital cameras to project images on the sides of AFV to mask it from gunners. They are also using rotorwing technology to help with engine noise and heat signatures. People have been talking about the death of armour since WWI. Technology always changes the advantages between, armour, fire power and mobility. Right now the attack helo is on top. Armour will be back.

DBII

Sloping:
I know that, but the subject was deflection, so I did not mention increased thickness.

Stealth armour - I always thought the cost of developing of a Predator-like camouflage would be too deer, I didn't even know it was being thought of. It they manage it, it would be real fun... :lol:

As you said it yourself, it's a never-ending race for supremacy: if the heat problem was solved by hiding the heat-sources UNDER the vehicle, I guess someone would come up with heat-seeking anti-tank mines.

Way off topic with all the tank talk, so I'll join in. Tank "stealth" has been in the works since WWII actually. There was an effort to hang lights around tanks to mask their silhouette while running ridges. Imagine a tank riding atop a ridge backlit by daylight. The tank is obviously well seen. Well, some genius thought that if you mounted lights upon the tank pointing in all directions, the light would blend into the normal daylight glare and the tank literally disappears to human sight. This application was actually tried on the leading edges of airplane sub hunters too. In the end, while the physics worked, the practicality of its application did not.

I have not run across that before. I read about the lights being tested on B-24s.

DBII

My take on the whole stealth thing is "Great....but does all this electronic stuff work if the enemy can see you and has guns and missiles trained?" I understand stealth goes a long way towards preventing the enemy from seeing you in the first place, but there will always be the flukes where a screen misses a fighter or small recon boat that happens upon something big and happens to have a radio.... Not pessimistic, but relying too much on new toys and technologies could be kinda bad if those same things take up areas previously reserved for more armor or damage control (probably doesn't happen, but I'm trying to make a point). In conclusion, Murphys Law happens more often then not (if I could just remember the guy that said that Murphy was an optimist...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back