Mosquito RS700 Restoration

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.

Great job Andy. Did you know Daniel (109 Roaming) is part of the Ferrymead restoration group?
No Evan, I did not. Small world. I've only been dealing with two guys there and our correspondence is not frequent. I don't think Daniel has posted here in years and hope he is well.

Over the last couple of days, I completed the 1st stage of fabrication of some missing mild steel brackets that we need that are critical for supporting the instrument panels. A diagram that I made to track these items is shown below.

IP Support Parts.jpg

Seen in the pic below are the single bracket B98700 at top left in the daigram above, the three BB98699's at the bottom of the engine instrument panel and the blue part B98738 at far right.

20230518_133839.jpg

These parts will now be sent out to a MIG welder to run a fine bead down the corners of the brackets and to weld the two pieces temporarily taped together. I really ought to learn how to do this myself. Once I get them back, I will then drill the necessary holes to bolt these to the panels and for securing the Lord vibration mounts. The pic below is an excerpt of the drawing for part B98700 and shows what I had to work with. The large 1inch diameter hole is for the Lord mount. It is very fortunate that we have the drawings for these pieces.

20230516_161823.jpg

The brackets have been dropped off at the welding shop and I should get them before the week is out. In the meantime, I have this to share:

One elusive missing part of our cockpit has been "Junction Box A" which is a small panel in front of the Navigator's position that featured various switches, gauges, and the propeller feathering buttons. We know from period photos that this unit was heavily modified by Spartan and we had resigned ourselves to having to build it from scratch based on outdated drawings and dark, grainy photos - until now.

During a search for parts to build our Hurricane Merlin test stand at the Hangar Flight Museum we came upon a box containing the object of our desires - an almost complete Spartan Junction Box A!

A new mystery now emerges. There is a label for a wiper switch on the face of the panel and, as far as we know, no Spartan Mosquitos carried windshield wipers (maybe for the camera lens?). So, with this welcome "barn find" come yet more questions.....

nc_ohc=Liy4VpImau0AX-nFBpb&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.jpg
nc_ohc=y0ZTBK7PHowAX9M4EcP&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.jpg

Yes, but the F and FB variants had a "flat" windscreen, whereas the bomber and PR variants had a two-piece "pointed" screen, and didn't have a wiper.
Andy stated that there was no record of the aircraft under restoration having a screen wiper, and this wold be normal for that type.

The last session saw Junction Box A dismantled after documenting the wiring terminals and carefully removing the old labels. Here are the guts:

20230520_155817 Reduced.jpg

Dismantled and bead-blasted, ready for paint:

20230527_154526 reduced.jpg

Here are Junction Boxes A and B test fitted in place. The holes for A lined up perfectly with the available ferrule locations.

20230527_130610 reduced.jpg

We continue to move ahead, slowly.

The last session saw Junction Box A dismantled after documenting the wiring terminals and carefully removing the old labels. Here are the guts:

View attachment 723192

Dismantled and bead-blasted, ready for paint:

View attachment 723194

Here are Junction Boxes A and B test fitted in place. The holes for A lined up perfectly with the available ferrule locations.

View attachment 723193

We continue to move ahead, slowly.
Andy, just curious. Those round details scattered around? For mounting? Reinforcement disks for exterior components? Seem really random and I see a grab bar attached to a pair.

Andy, just curious. Those round details scattered around? For mounting? Reinforcement disks for exterior components? Seem really random and I see a grab bar attached to a pair.
They are called ferrules and, yes, they are for fixing things to the wooden shell. The fuselage is only about 9/16 inches thick and mostly balsa so there's a need for a more solid base where attachments need to be made. A 3/4 inch hole is drilled thru the inner plywood skin and balsa, stopping at the inside of the outer skin. The ferrule, which consists of a 3/4 inch diameter bakelite cylinder with a threaded brass insert all glued to a thin birch ply disc, is then glued into the hole. The back of the disc receives glue as well and is then nailed to the inner fuselage skin with 1/2 inch long brass nails. The threaded brass inserts are designed to receive British 2BA or 4BA bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back