Mosquito RS700 Restoration (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Taxing condition is still cool, atleast you can generate cash by offering taxi rides. Even though your restoring to the post war scheme, I suppose when you have a good solid base there could be scope to have a repaint in the future to WW2 scheme to mark a certain occasion etc. Even so, a great job you are all doing.

Cheers Chris

Yesterday, I had the task of resupporting bulkhead 7 (the one to which the tail assembly is attached) and removing the shipping supports so that some work can begin on this area. We're creating scale replicas of the bulkheads to which the various attachments will be assembled both for restoration and location of the parts to be remounted and for display until until such time as that happens. The pictures below show the bulkhead and views from the tail to the nose which, with apologies, are a bit shaky.

1310051.jpg

13100532.jpg

13100533.jpg

A example of one of the assembly displays is the below the fire extinguisher system, here partly assembled. The bottles were still charged and the contents had to be disposed of at the fire department before we could start working on them.

1310052.jpg

Next, I had the pleasure of sorting through a couple of boxes looking for cockpit parts. Horizontal surfaces com at a premium for this, as you can see here. In this first pic, you can see the main wing on the left.

13100536.jpg

Looking in the other direction, the control column can be seen in the foreground as well as a trim wheel to its left and the instrument panels to its right.

13100535.jpg

Oxygen panel and gear/flap indicator panel:

13100537.jpg

13100538.jpg

..and some of the instruments.

Attachments

• 13100534.jpg
    13100534.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 87
Dam, the only way this thread could get any better for me is if Kate Beckinsale was reading it to me.

Andy, you have no idea how jealous I am of you my friend.

What an immense task this looks to be. Great job 

Have you ever come across any of these in your search through parts? -

83A423D0-9FFB-4BEF-90D2-67D97F3CE323-838-00000120113EB8A6_zps21dd122e.jpg

I have four of them in total from a crashed Mosquito (RAF serial - MM150) and don't have a clue what they could be?

Cheers Chris

Have not yet come across these Chris but we're just starting. Is there a number stamped on them? I have a set of plans with part numbers and we have a full parts manual back at the museum.

Thanks Andy, I'll have a look next weekend when I'm back over where they are stored.
I'm thinking engine related as there are purpose cast in lines that I think would be used for reference (could be location though) almost like timing marks on a car engine crank case for example. It would make sense to me to be engine related as in the same batch of parts I received either an inlet or exhaust valve, still with valve spring under compression! Any idea on the diameter of either valve?

Sorry to hijack your thread a little.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
No problem Chris. If these are engine related then I won't have access to a parts list here at home but can ask down in Nanton next time I'm there. I don't know the valve diameter off hand but would possibly be able to get that info for you as well.

Hello, looks to me like they are machined from aluminium.
Will have another look tomorrow and confirm.

Cheers Chris

Ahem, yes, well, on with the show.

This week I made it down to Nanton twice. Our restoration team is currently busy with building mock-ups of the main bulkheads and interiors so that the actual parts can be mounted temporarily and to therefore have the electrics and pneumatics recreated on sub assemblies. My assignment now is to recreate a full scale mockup of the cockpit floor and partial walls from Bulkhead No2 (just behind the pilot seat, to the nose) so that we can mount the instrument panel, control yoke, and pedals.

These first few pics are taken looking back from bulkhead 4 (the back of the bomb bay) to the rear of the aircraft. The area in the foreground on this particular aircraft actually was a cramped crew compartment for a mapping camera operator. The poor devil had only one small porthole window and only intercom communication with the pilot.

13101901.jpg

13101902.jpg

13101903.jpg

13101904.jpg

Below are pictures of the cockpit floor area that I'll need to replicate. My measurement sketch and tape measure rest in the clutter.

13101905.jpg

In the center of this pic can be seen the box that mounted the rudder pedals which hung form the top of the box. The mount on the wall at top left is for the magnetic compass.

13101906.jpg

This is the view from the nose. Bulkhead 2 is the half wall in the background and the rudder pedal box is to the right. You can see that I spotted the centerline on a length of masking tape in order to take grid measurements of the floor to duplicate it.

13101907.jpg

The frame in the first pic below was under the pilot seat. To the right can be seen the elevator trim wheel and the floor has a mess of control cables still in place.

13101908.jpg

13101909.jpg

13101910.jpg

I spent 4 hours Tuesday night creating just 2 templates to get the wall curvature at the grid lines I measured. The angled box was used to kee the template square and perpendicular as I scribed and adjusted the cut line.

13102201.jpg

13102202.jpg

I'll post some pics of the mockup when I get going on that. In the meantime, there are many more measurements that I need to get.

By the way Chris, I now have a scanned copy of the complete parts manual for an FBVI so the search may begin for your parts. However, if these are engine-related, then I'll not likely be able to identify them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back