Mosquito RS700 Restoration (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Time for an update on this. Since last time, our focus continued to be on clean-out of all loose fuselage parts and on building a new, more permanent frame into which the fuselage would be lifted for continued restoration work.

This is the cockpit mockup with more of the parts installed. Since last time, some of the hydraulic tubing was installed from underneath and the trim indicator was installed. I also reinforced the curved sidewalls for a better appearance and for the possible future addition of the instrument panel. Also visible are some of the copper grounding strips. The one below the trim indicator ultimately attaches to the throttle quadrant.

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

The frame in which the fuselage had been placed is inadequate in that it is too low for practical use and there is inadequate support to enable the removal of temporary bracing across the bomb bay. We therefore set about producing a steel tubular frame with more robust supports. Here you can see a series of pics showing the frame being assembled.

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

Once assembled, we set about getting the various pieces of kit ready for lifting the fuselage into the new frame.

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

Last Saturday, the team successfully lifted the fuselage out of the old frame into the new one. Unfortunately I wasn't present for the lift, which may have been a contributing factor to its success :lol: The empty fuselage is a surprisingly light 700 lbs so, with the 400 or so pounds of additional rigging, the lift was easily handled with a forklift.

14032902.jpg

14032903.jpg

14032904.jpg

14032901.jpg

14032905.jpg

And you are now up to date. Now that April is upon is, our first public display events will soon be upon is so the work achieved over the winter has put us in a great position to show off our work so far.

Great stuff Andy, and congratulations to the team - must have been big sighs of relief once the fuselage settled into it's new frame.
Thanks for the up-date.

Thanks for your interest everyone. Jeff, let me know if you need any reference material for your build. I should have lots of techy stuff if you need it.

By the way, word has it the world's second flying Mossie in Victoria BC will have its engine runs happen in 11 days.

You're welcome guys.

Terry the 109 is actually a 1:1 replica that a guy built in his garage. After an ultimatum from his wife, he made a deal with the museum and sold it for display. Part of the deal was to give the guy a wrecked Allison engine bloc that was stored at the museum, which he duly carted off to Edmonton to start on a 1:1 P-39!!! I'll post some further pics of the 109 on my Nanton Museum thread later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back