Mosquito RS700 Restoration (7 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got this when I clicked on the link

1704995348171.png

Maybe because I'm not a Facebookian, Facebooker, Facebookite, one of them

It doesnt act as a "link" on my PC. I get this as text "Loading Facebook SDK. You will need to disable any adblocker, privacy extension, or built-in tracking protection."

Last edited:
OK, copied and pasted here for those who are having trouble. Thanks for your patience.

Here's the status of our cockpit as of the end of 2023. The rudder pedals are now in place and no crowbars were harmed in doing this! There remains the minor work to hook the pedals up to the control cables and to install the treads. We have a worn set and the material is a bit of a mystery given its age and possible deterioration. For now we've made some wooden blocks which are in the bag taped to the left pedal.
In between the pedals can be seen new 3/16" diameter pneumatic lines that I've run. My self-training on cutting, bending, and flaring the ends of these things is slowly resulting in much less spaghetti being thrown on the scrap pile and hopefully I'll be a master by the time our project is finished! These 3 lines snake up the back of the pedal "doghouse" back under the pedal torque tubes and over to the brake pressure gauge that will fill the hole just above the top of the right pedal. Next up will be running three 1/4" brake lines along the floor to the brake differential unit, also mounted between the pedals. A pretty cramped area that helps keep my spine flexible.
On tap for the coming months is to modify the fixed panel above the pedals to eliminate the oxygen console, the magneto switches, and the master switch, all of which were changed out by Spartan. The blind flying panel that will fill the gap above the latter panel awaits some specialized shock mounts that we are trying to acquire.

nc_ohc=6obsx_-0v74AX_Ym0zn&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.jpg
nc_ohc=w9MzJUHu8cIAX8eFB1k&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.jpg

Here's a short news bit on our Mosquito that aired last week with yours truly featured: Bomber Command Museum in Nanton hosting a celebration for its Mosquito aircraft

In other news....

A bit of a longshot I know but maybe someone with instrument knowledge like MiTasol MiTasol , W WATU can help. Those of you following this restoration may now know that Spartan Air Services made significant changes to the "standard" Mosquito instrumentation, in most cases replacing the WW2 vintage RAF types with 1950s American AN versions. One such modification has me stumped and the blanked hole for this instrument is shown below:

Missing Instrument.jpg

This is the "Fixed Panel" immediately below the Blind Flying Panel. It actually displays many of the original Mosquito factory installs with the Booster Coil and Start Buttons at upper left, U/C Position Indicator at top center, Flap Position Indicator at top right and Brake Air Pressure Gauge at bottom center. To the immediate right of the Brake Air Pressure Gauge is the hand-operated Windscreen De-icing Pump. At left center is a Spartan-added Scintilla Master/Magneto Switch and the hole to its right is the one I want to identify. There's also a hole below the Scintilla unit but let's now worry about that right now.

The arrowed hole is mounted on a new blanking plate that covers the hole previously occupied by the original oxygen panel which you can see in the pics in post #247. Spartan ditched the entire original oxygen system and replaced it with a low pressure system with individual regulators and blinkers on the left and right walls of the pilot and navigator, respectively. I've therefore ruled out (mostly) that this instrument had anything to do with the oxygen system as the tank and its valves and gauges were mounted in the rear fuselage with access from the third crew member operating the camera.

As we have the original blanking plate, I can confirm that the cut-out for the instrument measures 2-1/4 inches and the 4 equally spaced mounting holes are on a 2-5/8" circle. Note also the notch at the 6 o'clock position that might be for some sort of adjustment knob. This configuration is key to identifying what unit occupied this hole. Does anyone know what this instrument might be?

Since it has a recess for an adjustment knob perhaps a clock? Was there a clock located anywhere else in the cockpit?

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, A clock is one of my guesses as there would have been a clock somewhere on the panel. The thing is, we have several other mystery holes that could also be for the clock. If you have dimensions of a period clock that might fit the hole, that would be a big help.

Well, I think we've solved the mystery already. I decided to dig deeper into the clock idea and came up with a hit. The blanking plate in our possession is slightly different with the notch at the 8 o'clock position and just two holes. This is ours:

20240723_123339.png

And here are the dimensions of an AN5743 8 Day Clock:

1721760458839.png

A perfect match! Thanks M mjfur for the lead!

So, if anyone has one for sale or trade, let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back