Mossie nf vs He 219 nf

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes, I've read that they flew with I/ZG 76. 'like hannibals cavalry protecting the elephants; the elephants are my bombers' The 'indestructable' Bf-110s soon found how wrong they were in the BoB.

I think the funniest thing was they never really employed four-engined bombers, considering how much they liked 'bombing'....they seemed to like watching them come over day and night bombing them - and they never could decide which of their awesome designs to really use, to sort the compounding problems out with......

the funniest thing here is how you guyz manage to take threads and get them off topic............so please get back on it ok ? !

geez

it's the mods job to get them on topic, but C.C.'s normally the one to take them off topic, but you can't stay on topic forever, for example in the best tank killer thread we all agreed the IL-2 was the best, how can you argue something when you're all on the same side..................

Gemhorse said:
I think the funniest thing was they never really employed four-engined bombers, considering how much they liked 'bombing'....they seemed to like watching them come over day and night bombing them - and they never could decide which of their awesome designs to really use, to sort the compounding problems out with......
Technicaly... they did have a four engined heavy.
The "Grief" had four Db605's paired in two to form a Db610. In other words, it was two engines to a propellor. Why they didn't just use the 801, I don't know... (Yes, I DO KNOW fighters got priority, but the Do217N's had Jumo 213's, which Doras and Ta-152's used)

Only 8 He 299's were produced, and considering the He 199 program was initiated in the late 1930's, it was yet another case of RLM vacillation that led to the failure of them reaching operations. Their design wasn't much chop anyway; - Erich's mention of the Ju 290, Kiwimac mentioned the Me 264, these were two potentially good 4-engined bombers - They also had a Ju 488 and the Ju 390 6-engined job, all of which sadly never reached much of an operational status, which was probably a good thing from an Allied point of view...- All bloody sad; - the big stuff-up for the Germans here, was the He 219, which was woefully underpowered to hunt such energetic quarry as the glorious Mosquito...got a few preoccupied Mossies on it's initial debut, but fell far short of it's 'raison d'entre' as a Mossie-killer supreme...

Regardless of how successful it was or it wasn't (I've heard evidence from both sides and I'm not sure which is correct) the He-219 was the only German aircraft that seemed to have a chance at challenging the Mosquito. What else were the Germans going to use? Perhaps the radar equipped 109s and 190s that Erich mentioned?

the 262 ! remember my mentioning Kommando Welter in December of 44 when he created this till war's end............? what the heck you can read it all in my book next year.

E ~

Well they had a few, probably their most successful being the Ju 88. The wooden Fw Ta 154 was supposed to be it, but their glue wouldn't stick, the Do 217 J N models had a go, Me 110's etc. etc. - But it was a tragedy the He 219 fell short mainly because of under-powered engines, particuarly when they had Methanol/Water and Nitrous Oxide injection systems...I liked them, very unique design, good armament, their handling was abit hairy, but that was the engine-power again...by that stage of the War, their aircraft assembly was becoming plagued by deteriorating quality-control, air-raids, let alone parts availability and the RLM interference, and the jets were getting priority.....

So if the German goverment had stepped out of the way and given Heinkel free reign to do what was needed with the He-219, would it have been a more successful design then?

speculation again guyz.

we are dealing with what-ifs as we do not know what may have happened if the Heinkel program would have had full on support and the revision of exteranl arms and parts, including replacement of the engines. It may well have seen a redesgined cockpit/canopy, rear armament and radar as standard with a three-four man crew. In any ivent the time of a Mossie chaser had appeared in the successful Me 262A-1a.

possibly go here and check through the older threads for some answers. this IS the German ight fighter forum run by friend Greg Kopchuck of Canada

http://disc.server.com/Indices/169401.html

The Me-262A-1a within in the first month of service apparently shot down two F-5 Lightnings and a Photo-Recce Mosquito...it's good to read... :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back