Mossie nf vs He 219 nf

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i think the most amazing production facilities were the factories producing T-34s in russia, they could literally roll tanks straight out the factories into battle....................

That's one of the saddest aspects of the Lockheed Lightning, that come War's-end, they appear to have trashed them all...A real waste of a legendary fighter, even with the advent of the emerging jet-age, it still had much to give, and it never was further developed....Considering it was the highest scoring Zero-killer, the Lightning never got the prestige and chance to become a prolific Warbird like the Mustang, which I might add, ended up in a similar configuration as the P.82... -The main Lightning Factory was in Burbank, California, wasn't it ?...

That was the only Lightning plant until the Vega factory in Nashville started producing them shortly before the war (producing the grand total of 113). The 'low-mileage' Lightnings in the Pacific were nearly turned over to the South Korean Air Force where they might have been very handy 6 years later . . .

Those T-34s rolling off the production line, going straight into battles didn't have the 'extras' like optics or radio. Not a tank I'd want to be fighting. Aiming by looking down the barrel isn't accurate.
And 16 hour shifts at 3/4 rations of what the British workers had. It's not impressive, it's slave labour.

First flight of the XP-38 was on Jan. 27th, 1939. The YP-38 deliveries started in Sept. 1940. As near as I can tell, the first production P-38s started coming out in June 1941. I believe the first Lightnings into regular service were the D models which started production (and service almost immediately after) in Aug. 1941.

It was being designed in 1938. The final set of requirements for the project were issued by the USAAC in Feb. 1937.

Well, considering the US didn't enter the war until Dec. of '41, there wasn't that much service for anything to see.

August 1942..I might add.

P-38s initially were intially rushed to the west coast due to the fears of a Japanese invasion and were not deployed overseas initially.

Because they were considered too valuable to the defense of the American mainland. They were clearly the best fighter America had at the time and they were flying combat patrols during this time.

Yeah, seems everytime 'Mosquito' is mentioned, LG CC get an inferiority-complex and are compelled to start rabbiting-on about the bloody Lightning again... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back