Most Beautiful Aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The most purposeful, brutish radial of the entire war:

p47a.jpg

5509823302_fc1b7af989.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIRbaw3QKqSBARZlW5ZNQt0ejEYhNmfYHCTGxa9gOn032dqd1Cgg.jpg

If you have to come off the deck of an aircraft carrier:

maxresdefault.jpg

airplane-bw-corsair-f4u-plane-world-war-wwii.jpg.3ca8589d62b39a16b4315de0f3587293.jpg

My personal favorite just gets honorable mention because it did not participate
in the war, but came damn close.
upload_2018-6-30_16-34-25.jpeg

ww2hawktempest-0.jpg

Hawker_Tempest_II_Hawker_Tempest_II_%2817145743791%29.jpg

Now that baby could have taken care of business in the Pacific.:cool:

I would like to mention an aircraft that everyone here overlooked, especially those that voted for the Mosquito - the De Havilland D.H. 103 Hornet. None left, unfortunately, but you've got to love a plane that could keep up with a Spitfire with only one engine running and that could be looped with both engines off. And just look at it!
Looks like the runt of a litter from a mama Mossie cat!:)

...any fan of the FW-190 may also like Sweden's "wooden wonder" the FFVS J22...
It looks more like a Seversky than a Focke-Wulf, to be honest.

And interesting story leading up to the inception of the J22 - Sweden was looking to modernize it's fighters and it's purchase from the U.S. was suspended. Japan offered Sweden the A6M but the Swedes thought the transfer of the aircraft from Japan to Sweden would be impractical, so the J22 was born.

So by chance, the A6M almost ended up in European skies.

For sure! I think their most advanced fighter at the time was an export version of the P-35.
I'd have to look it up again, but I think there was talk of the Swedes getting the P-43, as well, just before the US shut down the supply line.
Somewhere there's a pic of a J-22 and an FW-190 sitting next to each other at an airfield and they're almost identical....can't seem to find that pic anymore.

Elvis

The Packard V-1650 series was used in the Spitfire Mk.XVI

Indeed, the Merlin 266, which was the Merlin 66 built by Packard and the same as the Packard V-1650-7, except for details, such as the propeller shaft.

It was also used in the Mosquito B.VII, Lancaster B.III (and I believe the B.X) and the Hurricane Mk.X

The Mosquito B.XX, B.25 and FB.26 (Canadian production) and FB.40 (Australian production).

Used in Lancaster Mk I and Mk III, and the Mk X (Canadian Mk III).

The Canadian Hurricanes also got the Packard Merlin - the X, XI and XII.

For sure! I think their most advanced fighter at the time was an export version of the P-35.
I'd have to look it up again, but I think there was talk of the Swedes getting the P-43, as well, just before the US shut down the supply line.
Somewhere there's a pic of a J-22 and an FW-190 sitting next to each other at an airfield and they're almost identical....can't seem to find that pic anymore.

Elvis
Is this the photo you're thinking of?

image.jpg

They do look close to one another, maybe enough to be mistaken for each other at a distance, but I still feel that the J22's lines follow closer to the Seversky SEV-2 (P-35) or even Vultee's P-66. Sweden did take delivery of 60 Severskys in 1940, before the U.S. stopped exporting, so it comes as no surprise that there would be some similarities! :lol:

Is this the photo you're thinking of?

View attachment 500213

They do look close to one another, maybe enough to be mistaken for each other at a distance, but I still feel that the J22's lines follow closer to the Seversky SEV-2 (P-35) or even Vultee's P-66. Sweden did take delivery of 60 Severskys in 1940, before the U.S. stopped exporting, so it comes as no surprise that there would be some similarities! :lol:

Did the J22 have self sealing fuel tanks and armor?

The J22 was made (partially) of wood. I don't believe any armour was attached.

Grau Geist, thanks. That is one of the pics (I believe there's another from behind, as well).
I don't know. I don't see much here that suggests the J22, aside from the basic overall general shape and the fact that both use a radial engine.
If anything, the P-35 reminds me of either the F2A-1...

seversky_2pa.jpg

Brewster%20F2A.jpg

...or the CAC Boomerang...

E0FAB68AB66B4BEA87EF505744BC2D3C.jpg

The most purposeful and iconic inlines of the war comes pretty
much down to a dead even tie. They were both completely
unmatched in there perspective realms. I give you the icons:
Spitfire Mk.XIV
81f95306752fd9a1bc2b7ad11f3bf249.jpg

EFL8650_b0?wid=1400&hei=778.jpg

998977-17841-99-pristine.jpg

And then there is the one that took this kind of performance to the enemy: