Most Beautiful Aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Served in WW2: Mosquito, Ki46, Spitfire PRXIX.

Early post-war military aircraft whose design started in WW2: Republic XF-12 Rainbow and Convair B-46.

Me109_G-6_D-FMBB_1.jpg

Beautiful means, not about performance, only about looking good. Please choice only one aircraft you think beautiful.

I vote to Bf109. I think it has sharpe shape and beautility.8)8)

Vote finished!
Resp:
deHav Mosquito has nice lines. It also is sort of a sleeper as it is overshadowed by other aircraft.

Without doubt the Supermarine Spitfire. The only aircraft to have its very own ethos. Not to mention even when sitting on the ground it looked like it was doing 400mph. Whenever i hear Spitfire pilots accounts of this aircraft who used words like "a joy to fly" "The most viceless aircraft i have ever flown" "It was a real lady, beautiful!". "A glamour puss one minute and a wicked fighter the next" And my own personal favourite. "It's like having wings on your back, the aircraft always made me feel safe, like it was my own beautiful guardian angel" WW2 Produced some great looking warbirds. And while i admit the Spitfire might not have been the best aircraft of WW2, it certainly was the best looking. Imo.

Without doubt the Supermarine Spitfire. The only aircraft to have its very own ethos. Not to mention even when sitting on the ground it looked like it was doing 400mph. Whenever i hear Spitfire pilots accounts of this aircraft who used words like "a joy to fly" "The most viceless aircraft i have ever flown" "It was a real lady, beautiful!". "A glamour puss one minute and a wicked fighter the next" And my own personal favourite. "It's like having wings on your back, the aircraft always made me feel safe, like it was my own beautiful guardian angel" WW2 Produced some great looking warbirds. And while i admit the Spitfire might not have been the best aircraft of WW2, it certainly was the best looking. Imo.
True. I had to watch 'Dunkirk' at least 5 times just to soak in the moment. Also, a Spitfire did land on the beach during the evacuation, only the pilot failed to destroy it. The Germans sent it back to Germany, repaired it and used it in mock air fights against their fighters. Not a good thing.
I know the US 4th FG loved it. However, even modified it couldn't keep pace with other fighters, mainly due to its limited range.

The He.100 has always been a pretty airplane to me.

583009d06bf24642eb09403ec5e3f546.jpg

Even if you add a radiator hanging down ...

japanese_hitachi_a9he1_herman__heinkel_he_100__by_comradeloganov-d609ezj.jpg

Looks better than the Bf 109 and performed better, too. But the Luftwaffe high command hated Ernst Heinkel much as Secretary of the Air Force Symington hated Jack Northrop for not merging with Consolidated Aircraft. As a result, they cancelled the flying wing (B-49) and broke up the tooling. Heinkel didn't fare much better with the RLM, at least with his innovative designs such as the He.100 and the He.280, which COULD have been flying YEARS before the Me 262.

Not saying it was better than the Me 262. Am saying it could have been in service in such a timeframe as to have caused the Allies some real problems.

I know the US 4th FG loved it.
True. The 4th vets I talked to REALLY didn't want to transition to the 47. They all said to almost a man (at least the ones I talked to) that the Spits were their favorite mount of all the types they flew. One interesting tidbit I heard from them was that Spits couldn't stay on the ground idling to long without overheating. Never saw that anywhere in the books.

The He.100 has always been a pretty airplane to me.

View attachment 499824

Even if you add a radiator hanging down ...

View attachment 499825

Looks better than the Bf 109 and performed better, too. But the Luftwaffe high command hated Ernst Heinkel much as Secretary of the Air Force Symington hated Jack Northrop for not merging with Consolidated Aircraft. As a result, they cancelled the flying wing (B-49) and broke up the tooling. Heinkel didn't fare much better with the RLM, at least with his innovative designs such as the He.100 and the He.280, which COULD have been flying YEARS before the Me 262.

Not saying it was better than the Me 262. Am saying it could have been in service in such a timeframe as to have caused the Allies some real problems.

The B-49 also had stability issues, especially pitch damping, that were likely insoluble with the technology of the time. Not to say mutual dislike wasn't involved....

One more I never posted about.
Another French plane that actually had some success with the Finns...The Morane-Saulnier MS.406

1024px-Morane_D-3801_J-143.jpg

It's kind of a chubby little thing, but I've always had a fondness for this one, especially after I read about the mods the Finns did to it, to make it a better performer.
It got sexier, in my eyes.

Elvis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back