Most Beautiful Aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

True. The 4th vets I talked to REALLY didn't want to transition to the 47. They all said to almost a man (at least the ones I talked to) that the Spits were their favorite mount of all the types they flew. One interesting tidbit I heard from them was that Spits couldn't stay on the ground idling to long without overheating. Never saw that anywhere in the books.
Resp:
I finally got to see a Spitfire at the Houston Air Show in 2016. It had D-Day stripes on its wings. I hadn't seen one in over ten yrs. However, I was away a lot. Did get to see a ME 262 at the last two shows, which caught me off guard. Saw 'Glacier Girl' a P-38F; the first drop tank capable model to come off the production line. They didn't fly it, except on arrival and to go home. I sure would like to see some Hurricanes. Been @ 20 yrs since I saw one fly.

I think its hard to deny the French were all about elegant, flowing lines….

Dewoitine D520
View attachment 499830

But then there were their bombers, some of which would gag a maggot.
upload_2018-6-28_18-56-32.jpg

https://wwiiafterwwii.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/farmanf223.jpg?w=809

Resp:
deHav Mosquito has nice lines. It also is sort of a sleeper as it is overshadowed by other aircraft.
I am not in possession of an extensive library, as a bystander can you clarify where the Mosquito was over shadowed as a Fighter bomber, night fighter, long range recon. photo and met. recon aircraft and maritime strike aircraft?

Did get to see a ME 262 at the last two shows, which caught me off guard
Nice! Was it Collings Foundation bird? I saw their Mk9 Spitfire and a surprise Mk1 Spitfire at a local appearance not to long ago. Also their P-40, A-36,P-51TD, F4U , B-17G,B-24 and some others I can't immediately remember. It was quite the line up!
DSCN6866.JPG DSCN6951.JPG DSCN6854.JPG DSCN6884.JPG

Last edited:
When I first saw a Spitfire in the real world (as opposed to in a museum), on an airfield ready to fly, what struck me about it was how small the fuselage is. The side view we are used to seeing just doesn't convey quite how petite that fuselage is behind the cockpit, and how small the empennage is, and how big the wing and engine are.

Compared to the P-51s, F4Us, P-40s etc that were there (we are blessed for warbirds in NZ), it looked to be all engine and wing. It really is so very much smaller than all of its contemporaries. I would love to see one next to a Bf 109, again on an airfield rather than in a museum, as I suspect that that is the other from that time where there was simply the biggest engine available with the smallest airframe imaginable wrapped around it..

Resp:
I finally got to see a Spitfire at the Houston Air Show in 2016. It had D-Day stripes on its wings. I hadn't seen one in over ten yrs. However, I was away a lot. Did get to see a ME 262 at the last two shows, which caught me off guard. Saw 'Glacier Girl' a P-38F; the first drop tank capable model to come off the production line. They didn't fly it, except on arrival and to go home. I sure would like to see some Hurricanes. Been @ 20 yrs since I saw one fly.
Resp:
The only American pilot that flew Spitfires that didn't seem to mind changing over to the P-47 was Gabby Gabreski. And from his kill record the change likely gave him more opportunity due to the increase in range over the Spitfire. So there are many types of 'beauty' besides aircraft lines.

The side view we are used to seeing just doesn't convey quite how petite that fuselage is behind the cockpit, and how small the empennage is, and how big the wing and engine are.
I saw an interview with a former Spitfire pilot who sat in a Bf 109E ( I think it was the E-7 @the IWM) and even HE commented on how small the cockpit was. His head was even with the the canopy top and he couldn't turn his head to look over his shoulder to look behind. No thats tight!

Nice! Was it Collings Foundation bird? I saw their Mk9 Spitfire and a surprise Mk1 Spitfire at a local appearance not to long ago. Also their P-40, A-36,P-51TD, F4U , B-17G,B-24 and some others I can't immediately remember. It was quite the line up!
View attachment 499926 View attachment 499927 View attachment 499928 View attachment 499929
Resp:
I believe it was a Collins Foundation Spitfire MkIX. I did look it up to send them a thank you note. I am 6 ft 1in and having sat in a P-51D, thought the cockpit small. One needs to remember, Luftwaffe pilots were only airborne a short time (@ 2.5 hrs) while most Americans were flying at least twice that time. Many times ground crew had to help USAAF pilots out of the aero plane due to fatigue.

Resp:
Mustangs - Allison engined, Top to bottom:
1. F-6B, redesignated from P-51A and used as Photo-Recon. Note camera lens on port side rear window.
Most if not all F-6B Mustangs retained the P-51A black stenciling on L fuselage just forward of canopy.
2. Mustang MkII, one of 50 P-51As given to British as replacement for the Mustang MkIs held back by USAAF after Pearl Harbor, which became P-51-1, with all green upper and light grey under surfaces, most of which were outfitted w cameras and redesignated as F-6A.
3. P-51A, painted int the marking of the 1st Air Commando Group of the CBI theater.

Resp:
I believe it was a Collins Foundation Spitfire MkIX. I did look it up to send them a thank you note. I am 6 ft 1in and having sat in a P-51D, thought the cockpit small. One needs to remember, Luftwaffe pilots were only airborne a short time (@ 2.5 hrs) while most Americans were flying at least twice that time. Many times ground crew had to help USAAF pilots out of the aero plane due to fatigue.
Ah, yes, but remember 2.5 hrs with lots of talented pilots with high tech A/C with big guns trying to kill you. Kind of ups the stress levels a wee bit..;)

True. The 4th vets I talked to REALLY didn't want to transition to the 47. They all said to almost a man (at least the ones I talked to) that the Spits were their favorite mount of all the types they flew. One interesting tidbit I heard from them was that Spits couldn't stay on the ground idling to long without overheating. Never saw that anywhere in the books.

It was mentioned in the movie "The Battle of Britain", when Michael Caine wanted to get airborne because his Spitfire was about to overheat.

Ah, yes, but remember 2.5 hrs with lots of talented pilots with high tech A/C with big guns trying to kill you. Kind of ups the stress levels a wee bit..;)
Resp:
Yes, but try that w an additional 3 hrs of flight time. Everyone likes to think they had it rough, but I think the long range guy pushed it to the limits. Certainly weren't home for tea time.
Question for you RAF experts; did any Spitifres use the Packard Merlin engines? It was my understanding that Packard agreed to build the engine for the British. Please clarify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back