Most Beautiful Aircraft of WW2? (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here is the Lopresti SwiftFury. It was made by the Seminoles in Florida and they moved the wing to get the CG right for the new engine and eliminated a LOT of drag.

5123L.jpg

Pretty fast!

222 mph on 200 hp or 357 kph on 203 ps.

1,350 ft/min rate of climb or 411 m/min.

A friend of mine had a Swift and built a new fuselage to mate with Swift wings. It had 2 seat tandem seating combined with a P-40 style faired in cockpit canopy. It was like a T-35, the competitor to the Beech T-34 that was bought by Saudi Arabia. He died before he finished it.

The Lewis Air Legends VC-121A Constellation made its first flight in 8 years after restoration.
This is 'Bataan', personal aircraft of MacArthur during the Korean War.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqgZL7z4Nx0&ab_channel=Skyes9

I am glad to see this flying again, you can never have too many classic airliners in the air. But though it's heresy to many, I aways found Douglas' combination of utility, efficiency, reliability and clean lines to be far more beautiful. I'd argue it's a part of why there are still some in revenue service to this day ...

DC-6_of_Everts_Air_Cargo_at_Deadhorse_Airport,_2016.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/zlJTOQH6ur4

That's beauty to my eyes.

Here is the Lopresti SwiftFury. It was made by the Seminoles in Florida and they moved the wing to get the CG right for the new engine and eliminated a LOT of drag.

View attachment 727305

Pretty fast!

222 mph on 200 hp or 357 kph on 203 ps.

1,350 ft/min rate of climb or 411 m/min.
I remember that plane. Too bad it didn't work out any better than it did (the company, not the plane. The plane was fantastic!)
I likened it to a modern version of Brokaw's Bullet, if you remember that one.
Fast and sexy as hell (maybe that's the other way around).
Weren't some of those Lopresti's made of Carbon Fibre? I seem to remember reading something about that.

...btw, 1350 ft./min = 15.341 mph. =)

There is just something about a F104. My Army Reserve unit had a couple of fly boys attached to our OPFOR group. I don't know why because they mainly worked as liaison between the units we were training and the US ground forces. Several times I was the Air Marshal for the simulator red air forces. Great joy in launching hundreds of birds against a us carrier. One of the zoomies LTC was a F104 pilot. Great stories.

Attachments

• images (2).jpeg
    images (2).jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 11
Mine, too.

Fighter Rebuilders just restored a Model 749, but it has a "Super Connie" nose radome and I like the cowlings better on the 749.

Here it is:

View attachment 727580

Pretty spiffy.
That's very nice! 👍
I wonder how practical it would be to start building a turbo prop version of the Super Connie these days.
Do a passenger and a cargo version.
:-k

I don't think the British had a tricycle gear transport plane until the Handley Page Hermes.
The original HP68 Hermes I had a tailwheel when it first flew and crashed in Dec 1945. Development effort then shifted to the HP67 Hastings version for the RAF. It was the HP81 Hermes IV version that got a tricycle landing gear, and first flew on 5 Sept 1948. It entered airline service with BOAC in Aug 1950.

But the first British tricycle airliner I can think of was the De Havilland Dove which first flew on 25 Sept 1945, entered service in Dec 1946 and remained in production until 1967.

Meanwhile the Airspeed Ambassador had flown with a tricycle undercarriage on 10 July 1947, although it didn't enter airline service with BEA until March 1952.

And the Vickers Viscount that first flew in July 1948

Then we have the huge Bristol Brabazon that first flew in Sept 1949 being overtaken by the advent of the jet airliner.

And the jet De Havilland Comet that first flew in July 1949 and entered airline service in May 1952

Not forgetting the Avro Canada C102 Jetliner that first flew in Aug 1949 but never went beyond the prototype stage.

De Havilland Australia also developed the 3 engined tricycle DHA-3 Drover from 1946. First flight 23 Jan 1948

There are a few others in this period IIRC. AW Apollo, Miles Marathon

The origins of most of the early post-war British airliners lies with the Brabazon Committee that was set up in late 1942.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back