Most Beautiful Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ive always liked the looks of the f4,s The phantom and the corsair I thing it has something to do with the way the wings are swept on both, and the dropped tail on the Phantom.:p

My earliest recollection of flying on an airliner was taking a TWA Connie from
Denver to NYC, a real treat because my Dad usually crammed six of us into
a Piper and flew us himself. Anyway, I remember it so well because the
number 3 engine had to be shut down just outside my window, and my Dad said that was okay because they carried it as a spare anyway....

Really?

Kris

Humpback shape took on graceful "S". Complicated with long landing necessitated by large diameter props was the primary rationale for the humpback. Coupled with having to dump a single vertical stabilizer in favor of a lower profile triple tail, these were subsequently shadowed by the fuselage. The need to address flutter and rudder authority resulted in the graceful upcurve in the aft end.

God works in mysterious ways, but this was truly the Concorde of its day.

The Connie is not not bad looking but for a prop airliner but I prefer the Condor.

Attachments

• dd3904i.jpg
    dd3904i.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 145
John Travolta passed through Goose Bay with his Connie and I had the chance to talk to him on the radio for about 10 minutes one slow night. it is a real pretty bird as nice an airliner as there ever was

Going back to Concorde. It has the best shape of any plane in the top plan view unfortunately those engines spoil it at any other angle. Regarding the storky look I agree. But I think its always best to judge a plane in its element. Certainly a step backwards and an end of an era in aviation.

RIP.

If you are going to talk about commercial aircraft, you must include the Convair 990. A beautiful, fast, failure.

Attachments

• Convair_990_In_flight_EC93-41018-12.jpg
    Convair_990_In_flight_EC93-41018-12.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Convair 990.jpg
    Convair 990.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 141

Users who are viewing this thread

Back