Most Beautiful Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They don't get much prettier than this:

Attachments

• MkXIprofile.jpg
    MkXIprofile.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 231
Like most aircraft from Hawker's the Hawk looks quite nice in a cutesy way.... but not too popular with the ground crews or pilots... so looks is all it has going for it.

I have one to look after later today... One just left on Monday after an engine change.... took a week! .. typical Brit machine :rolleyes:

Attachments

• A27-21_1.JPG
    A27-21_1.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 194
  • A27-16_1.JPG
    A27-16_1.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 178
  • _8691.JPG
    _8691.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 187
And for twins, don't forget the DH.88 Comet! Remind you of anything? (rember the Comet is circa 1934)

I always thought she'd have made a good combat plane with the necessary modifications, as the design was very sleek and the wings unusualy thin for the time.(slightly scaled-up with clipped wings with rounded tips, strengthened airframe, added armour and weapons, cockpit redone as singe-seat and moved foreward for better visibility, withe the nose fuel-tanks replaced with rea-mounted ones-to make room for cockpit+guns, and more powerful engines: possibly Kestrels, Peregrines, or maby radial Mecury or Pegasus engine, maby even merlins!)

Nail and head come to mind :)
And it sounds like you have just designed the mosquito and hornet :)

Yeah, but not 'til 10 years later. And the Mossie wasn't really a "fighter" in the usual sence. A fighter bomber and nightfighter certainly.

I alwas though the DH.88 looked a bit like the Me 262, especially the 2-seater.

Is this still the "Most beautiful plane"-thread? Then I miss the outright winner: :lol:

Now we can close the thread, it's getting rather long. :lol:

Krabat42,

PM doesn't wanna respond (after countless efforts). In case you got multiples of the same reply from me, my apologies.
Something strange in the connection, I guess.
Anyway, I'll just answer your reply here with a thankyou and...AHA! I see the tail now!

;)

Elvis

My favorite aircraft, the dewoitine 520, best french hunter in 1940. Unfortunately there aren't any De 520 in flight today. The last De 520 to be in flight crashed in 1986. It only remains tree exemplary in museum in france.

Attachments

• dewoitine520.jpg
    dewoitine520.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 153
drgondog,

Thank you and yes, I thought those were some very nice shots myself.
Here's one more of the same plane, buzzing the field this time.

Elvis

Attachments

• F-86.jpg
    F-86.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 125
Here's a great shot of an F4U banking.
Wonderful lines, that airplane had.

Here's the website I copped the photo from - Oshkosh 2002 WW2 aircraft

If you're not aware of Richard Seaman's work, check out his website.
I'm sure you won't be sorry.

Elvis

Attachments

• VoughtF4UCorsair001.jpg
    VoughtF4UCorsair001.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 206
You can either go to "go advanced" when posting and then use "manage attachments" to post pics; or you could use
to post a pic.

The SAAB 21:
Saab_J_21A-3.jpg

And the Amiot 351 (354 had single fin tail):
Amiot-351-sm.jpg

Also:

j22prof.jpg

Gj22.jpg

The FFVS J-22, one of Elvis's favorites. ;) (I think it looks a bit like a mix between the Fw 190, F4F, and P-36)

YES!

j22.jpg

Hey, any plane that can do 355MPH and climb at approx. 2900ft/min. while carrying 4-13.2's, all on 1,065HP, has got my vote!

As for appearances, you're right. I've always noticed a great similarity between the J22, the FW190 and some of the Japanese planes, as well.

...but then, when you look that good, why mess around with it? ;)

Alas, vintage pics, like this one, are the only ones we're going to see of the plane in flight...

002-1019174_1943-09-01.jpg

...as the Swedes only have one example left in "working" condition.

These days, "the big red K" is occassionally rolled out and started up for air shows and interested parties.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgTRxoZ9FPI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMV_DfrUJiw

Elvis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back