Most dangerous position in a B-17

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Guys the worst position in the bomber would have to be the ball gunner.

If the bomber were to crash land without its wills the poor guy would be crusshed!!!

Besides, he is exposed to flak at the bottom. He wouldnt know what hit

him! Or if he didnt have his safety strap on he would fall out of the turret!

At least the waist gunners would have a chance. In the movie Memphis Bell,
The guy in the ball turret almost falls out of the bomber. Oh and ig the hatch
were too jam, and you had to bail put, he would go down with the plane. :cry:

Attachments

• infantry_edited_426.jpg
    infantry_edited_426.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 562
I had a friend (now dead) who served as a tail gunner in Lancs. He told me that he once sat in the same position in a B17 and found that he couldn't reach the controls properly because he had to spread his arms round a chunk of armour plate that prevented almost all moevent, too. He did not, he told me, want to be in there when being attacked by a fighter, because in his opinion just about all the gunner could do was pray or scream.

If i can choose a position in a b17 crew, i would choose to be the guy who refuel the plane...becouse I think all the position inside the plane were very dangerous. But must to be fantastic to shoot some fighters from the turrets....I dont know what to do.... :leftfighter7:

According to the 8th Air Force web page the best position was the Bombardier then the top turret/Waist gunner. The worst was the Radio/Pilot. The Waist gunner position was twice as bad accounting for the fact there were two. Ball turret,Navigator, Co-Pilot were about the same. It must be noted that this is for the 95th BG and go as follows

Pilot 58kia 11wia
Co- Pilot 56kia 7 wia
Nav 56kia 15wia
Top T 47kia 29wia
Radio 58 kia 14wia
Ball 56kia 21wia
waist 102kia 45wia
tail 57kia 14wia

As you can see it doesn't matter much where you are if your inside the plane.

This site has the stats http://www.taphilo.com/history/8thaf/8aflosses.shtml

wmaxt

P38 Pilot said:
Guys the worst position in the bomber would have to be the ball gunner.

If the bomber were to crash land without its wills the poor guy would be crusshed!!!:

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! The Emerson Ball turret was a solid piece of heat treated aluminum forging that could probably be used as a boat anchor. By it's construction, it was naturally armored. On a B-17 the ball was located in the aft fuselage (Stations 6 7) just aft of a major bulkhead. The assembly was supported by a trapeze assembly inside the fuselage. During a crash, the fuselage would either break at that bulkhead or the turret would be pushed into the trapeze assembly. I've seen photos where the -17 made it down resting on the turret! Now does that mean a gunner would survive a crash in a ball turret? Probably not! If the armored glass shattered inward, well, I think I rather be shot with a 20mm.

If I were too choose a positon in the B17, it would be the top gunner.

If he was being shot at by a german fighter he could easily duck down.

Then if a fighter flew above the bomber he would have a nice clean shot!
:snipersmile:

Attachments

• baruniform_1__959.jpg
    baruniform_1__959.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 451
P38 Pilot said:
If I were too choose a positon in the B17, it would be the top gunner.

If he was being shot at by a german fighter he could easily duck down.

That still wouldn't offer him much protection. The aluminum top skin doesn't offer much more protection that the plexiglas in the turret.

Ok lets sum this up!!!!!! All positions in a B-17 were deadly!!! No matter what the position you would still get killed! German fighter tactics they were training with after the B-17 bombers became a wide threat to the germans was that they would fly in fornt of the planes and shoot the pilots.
Nobody was safe once the pilots were dead!

Attachments

• infantry_edited_595.jpg
    infantry_edited_595.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 445
You'd probably find going head on was a bit silly, especially when the jets came into play. The closing speed was just too fast to get a decent shot. The tactic was to knock out the tail gunner, then the plane would be easy pickings.

Plus, in a B-17 there's three people that can fly the plane - the pilot, co-pilot and bombardier, and I reckon maybe even the engineer could do enough to get it down on the ground.

Well, there you go then; there's four people who can fly a B-17 in one B-17 crew. Knocking out the pilot would be a pointless exercise.

did some research, actually I was wrong about the FE getting the medal of honor for landing the plane, but I know FEs did land crippled -17s on occasions.

I think the arse end position on any bomber has to be the worst nearly all the combat videos showing bombers under attack the arse is what the fighter go's for and didnt they pump some shit into them once the tail gunners had it the bomber is a real sitting duck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back